XOR question and masking?

This is just a general question about bits. We were given an example value of 10000010 and we were to toggle 1 and 7 placements of 10000010 to find its mask. Why the mask have the same value as the given value? If I understood XOR and determining its mask, I thought that we’d toggle 1 to 0 and 0 to 1? Shouldn’t be the two 1’s in this case be zeros instead? I hope someone can explain XOR and masking for me. Thank you in advance.

I could be slightly off here, but…

A “mask” is just a sequence of bits that can be applied, in conjunction with a given bitwise operation, to toggle some or all of the bits in the target sequence.

If we consider your starting byte:

If I’m understanding your question correctly, you’ve been asked to compute the necessary mask to toggle bits 1 and 7 using XOR.

The truth table for the XOR operation looks like this:

A | B | XOR
-------------
 0 | 0 |  0
 1 | 0 |  1
 0 | 1 |  1
 1 | 1 |  0

XOR - exclusive or - will return a “true” value (1) only in circumstances where only one bit is “true” (equal to one). If both bits have the same value, then XOR returns a “false” value (0). (This is different to OR, where you will get a “true” value for any two bit combinations other than 0 OR 0.)

Hopefully, with this explanation of how XOR works, you can now see why the mask to toggle only bits 1 and 7 is identical to the original value. Here’s the truth table again:

POS | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
------------------------------------
  A | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0
  B | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0
XOR | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0

Does that help at all?

3 Likes