Windows Command line lessons - complaint

I’m paying exactly the same amount of money everyone else is, but there are no lessons for Windows-based console commands. I don’t use Mac or Linux. Learning about them will do nothing but confuse me. I came here, and am paying a fair amount, to learn. Why is Windows command tutelage not provided?

It doesn’t seem to me to be a big leap for this site to provide some basic Windows command lessons. Given the depth and breadth of tutelage available here, it seems like, frankly, a lazy oversight. It’s really not too much to ask. It’d only be a few lessons. It smacks of thoughtlessness and now I’m stuck learning things I’ll simply have no need to use. Rant over.

1 Like

DOS is a bit of a relic. It can do very little compared to e.g bash and it is very rigid. The user base for DOS and actual developers writing scripts for DOS is very small compared to anything else. I’m not 100% sure but it seems that the programming language for windows with more functionality would be powershell based on Microsofts .NET.

EDIT: It turns out that FreeDOS as an operating system(!!!) is still somewhat popular among a small number of scientific researchers. It allows them to build monolithic programs that use all the resources of the computer, for the OS is so lightweight and “so close to the hardware”.

EDIT2: Yeah I’m on Windows too, partially so that I don’t have to do everything through the CMD :stuck_out_tongue: . When I needed the command line I used mainly PowerShell, for it has some extra functionality useful for networking and socket control. Even then the syntax turned out terribly difficult, long and unintuitive, on top of that the learning resources are limited - mainly Microsoft docs, Q&A and forums. That’s why I’ve done this only as fun project, it took me four days of study and research of syntax and libraries to achieve what I wanted to do - a port scanner that checks website if it runs mail server as well as asks its DNS for MX entries, then checks if the returned servers are secured (TSL) , then it acts like a mail server trying to send an email to relay and to see if the configuration of the server allows for relaying email - all this in powershell… PAIN.

Then when I was done, I thought I wonder how hard it would be to achieve in Python?
To my surprise available packages done half of the coding for me - I didn’t have to manually create a socket, then give it the details, then attempt to connect, nor create buffer byte array to hold anticipated response… No it was just one imported object class that could take the IP and perform all the operations through its methods. The code was clean and readable and ready in less than a day. And at the time I was only about half-way done with the Python3 course (but I used google a bunch of times :wink: )

So yeah, my suggestion would be don’t get too involved with DOS unless you fall in the research scientist minority. Learn a real programming language and you will be able to do so much more and so much quicker. The power of a programming/scripting language is in its community - the more people work on (and with) it the more built-in functionality and supported extensions you can find, the better it is optimized to run across different platforms and generally.the more you can achieve with it. And only so often you will want to reinvent a wheel since there are so many incredible wheels already available for you to spin.

I’m a Windows user too, and I’ve learned that just about everything in web dev is harder in Windows (not limited to codecademy).

I’ve found that just about everything codecademy teaches on here is possible on Windows if you install Git Bash. Here’s one place you can download it.
https://gitforwindows.org/

Once you install Git Bash, you can execute commands “just like everyone else” using a Mac or Linux-based system. The main difference is when you have to install or do things using “sudo”; that doesn’t work on Windows, even in Git Bash, but researching the Windows system alternatives is a learning experience in itself.

That’s because most of basic bash functionality is already available in DOS with slightly different names. Git Bash provides a translator, but nothing more.
A good option for learning would be to sign up a Google Cloud Computing account, they give 1 year, 300usd for free, so you can have your own virtual computer on the cloud and use Google Chrome Remote Destop to connect to it. You can run a variety of distributions and if you don’t go for some ridiculous tier (cause you can get even 128CPU and 20GPU or whatever) then the money they give you should last for all the trial period.