Why Programmers Often Use Linux?

I’m a beginner in programming, many say programmers use Linux. Then why is it like that? Isn’t Linux just an operating system, but they tend to use linux.

Please help, do I need to change the operating system to Linux?

1 Like

Because Linux is an opensource and free operating system, there has been a ton of software written for use with Linux. Programming is kind of all about messing around with things, and this usually is not possible with consumer ready software, which are built to be used and not really changed. Linux is pretty easy to change and adapt, but this doesn’t mean you have to use it! Its a great thing to learn how to use, but you can learn to program with whatever operating system you have.

1 Like

The answers will vary. But at the end of the day a lot of programming tools are easier to set up in linux out of the box.

There’s been many times where I’ve wanted to do something in windows only to find it painfully contrived (from 15+ minutes to having to do a convoluted setup with WSL) whereas with mac or linux it’s just a few commands and a minute to install.

Just off the top of my head: Redis, Airflow, Docker, C++ stuff, Perl stuff.
At work the other day a lot of people had trouble setting up a python project in Windows, what were they missing? Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools. Yea, sure, logical.

Hi there,

I have used (tried) Linux a few times, not for programming though, because I like the idea of upen source.

Even though it has many advantages (of which I am sure even if I did not experience them) there are disadvantages as well.

One I have noticed is the battery life much shorter when with Windows.

(Please let me know if there is something to prolong battery life on Linux.)

Bogdan.