Why Isn't this a part of HTML and JavaScript?

Hi,

I am trying out event driven programs, and here is one of the things I was trying to do

< body>
< script>
var number = 100;
</ script>
< p> number< /p>
< /body>

But then i soon realized you cannot use variable names inside of <p>, and transfer the value of those variables. The output was:

number

Using a variable like this seems very logical, so why is using variables outside of the < script> tags not a thing? Or am I missing something? are there other ways of doing this?

Because the <script> tag defines the code as script, JS code can ONLY work inside of the <script> tag. Therefore, when you tried to reference the variable number outside of the <script> tag, it treated it as HTML, not JS. In order to use JS to modify HTML elements, you have to use JQuery inside of the script tag, or as imported script.

no idea what jQuery or imported script are, what thanks!

@dantemp, you can use js to manipulate html, jquery might be easier, but js is most certainly possible.

@dr_palsonph_d, jquery is a library written in javascript to make manipulating html easier. You can import this library in your code, of course, this means you need to learn the syntax first

FYI if you wanted to make the p tag contain the value of the variable number, this is the way I prefer to do it in plain JS:

<body>
    <p id="one"></p> <!-- Make sure that the paragraph is above the script-->
    <script>
        var number = 100;
        document.getElementById("one").innerHTML = number;
    </script>
</body>

You can of course upgrade this code:

<head>
    <script>
    function myFunction(){
        var number = 100;
        document.getElementById("one").innerHTML = number;
    }
    </script>
</head>
<body> 
    <input type="button" value="click me" onclick="myFunction()">
    <p id="one"></p> 
</body>

That's what I was thinking! But I think we should keep it basic, because that's what it looked like it was supposed to be, not a button, just a paragraph containing "100".

Good point, but a demonstration with what is possible is also cool :slightly_smiling:

@stetim94 I apologize for not making myself clearer. I did not mean that JQuery was the only way, simply the best. I used JS to do that sort of thing for quite a while, before I learned JQuery.

That depends on personal preference.

how do you guys write code into the forums? for example:

I have to do this < p> fahfa </ p> so that the the 2 < P> show up, if I dont leave the spaces than they just dont show up for example: I will write < p> fahafafh </ p> the correct way:

fahafafh

--see how it didn't show the < p> </ P>

3 backticks before and after:

```
<p>Visible</p>
```

thanks mate! really helps