Why is this one rejected ? It works when run with VS Code

No 14. Remove duplicates

Hello !
Can someone tell me why this one gets rejected ? It's working fine when I run it in with VS code, so I get confused.

Error message is =
Oops, try again. remove_duplicates([]) resulted in an error: list index out of range

Replace this line with your code. 
def remove_duplicates(list):
    list_s = list[:]
    list_s.sort()
    answer = []

for i in range(len(list_s) - 1):
        if list_s[i] != list_s[i + 1]:
            answer.append(list_s[i])
    else:
        answer.append(list_s[-1])

return answer

Hi, @designninja42610 ,

The error occurred when Codecademy tested your function by making this call, passing it an empty list ...

remove_duplicates([])

The list indexing in your code, for example, this line ...

if list_s[i] != list_s[i + 1]:

... assumes that the list that is passed to the function is not empty. You need to rewrite it so that it can handle lists of any length, including a length of 0.

There is a way you can write the function without using indexing, in case that helps.

Thanks a lot for your answer !

I never thought about an empty list. I added an IF to handle this case as step 1 in the function and got a pass.

To your point, I found the way to write the function without using indexing. I found it really quick (same way as suggested in the hints), so I thought I would try and find another extra solution. I got quite exited when I thought about using indexing in the original list as a basis for excluding duplicates because it appeared to me much more efficient when used on lists with a very large number of items.

Thanks a lot for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.