Why "+i" to myName.length in Second Loop?

My code works and I could finally finish this section only after I read this forum. I studied the other answered-question for "Your second 'for' loop explanation" [from stetim94] and it helped... Only one last element that I still don't understand - If the second loop is to start the count again, should it merely be "j < myName.length" ? What is the "+i" about right behind that?

I tried taking out the "+i" and it doesn't work, but have no idea why we need it. Please explain? Thank you so much.

/*jshint multistr:true */
var text = "Hey, how are you \
doing? My name is Emily.";
var myName = "Emily";
var hits = [];

for (var i = 0; i < text.length; i++) {
    if (text[i] === "E") {
        for (var j = i; j < (myName.length + i); j++) {
            hits.push(text[j]);
        }
    }
 }

if (hits.length === 0) {
	console.log("Your name wasn't found!");
} else {
	console.log(hits);
}

so the goal of our program is to find all instances of myName in text

so our first loop, loops over text looking for the first letter of your name (E of Emily)

which is found at index 35 in text. so then i is 35 (thanks to if condition), now our second for loop needs to loop from index 35 till 40 (exclusive). We can do this by using < i + myName.length

because i may vary (given where and how many times your name is present in text) we can use i (index of first letter of your name in text) + myName.length, which will contain the index after our name, to extract our name from text string

Awesome! This whole section finally makes sense now! Thanks!

But if j = i doesnt "j < (myName.length + i)" also mean the same thing as "j < (myName.length + j)"? Or is it that j = i but "i" does not equal "j"

no, because you will increase j (j++), so then you get an infinity loop

i will remain the same while you use the second for loop to push the letters of your name into an array

Hi, I have a quick question about this. Wouldn't i + myName.length (in this example) be 35 +5? Which would mean that the loop will iterate 40 times? I'm little confused.

Thanks in advance.

because that is only part of the condition, if we look at the condition:

j < (myName.length + i)

and then fill in the numbers:

35 < (35 + 5)

you will see it only finds the letters of the name.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.