Why i cannot run Anaconda Navigator on my Linux?

My friend told me that if I want to learn to code for real I need to learn Linux because professional coders use Linux, and my old laptop that have problem with handling windows 10 would faster under Linux, but i think Linux sucks, i not have problem with Anaconda-Navigator on my home desktop computer with Windows 10 PRO but Linux have problem with it, once started out but now It only throws error messages at me see:
anaconda-navigator
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/bin/anaconda-navigator”, line 11, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/app/main.py”, line 115, in main
from anaconda_navigator.utils.logs import clean_logs
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/utils/logs.py”, line 18, in
from anaconda_navigator.config import (LOG_FILENAME, LOG_FOLDER,
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/config/init.py”, line 26, in
from anaconda_navigator.config.main import CONF
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/config/main.py”, line 112, in
CONF = UserConfig(
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/config/user.py”, line 212, in init
self.load_from_ini()
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/config/user.py”, line 271, in load_from_ini
self.read(self.filename(), encoding=‘utf-8’)
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/configparser.py”, line 697, in read
self._read(fp, filename)
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/configparser.py”, line 1020, in _read
for lineno, line in enumerate(fp, start=1):
File “/home/pawelk86/anaconda3/lib/python3.9/codecs.py”, line 322, in decode
(result, consumed) = self._buffer_decode(data, self.errors, final)
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xe3 in position 2: invalid continuation byte

This is absolutely not true, at all. Linux is one of the many potential tools in a programmers belt that can be useful to know and in some cases makes development easier but it is definitely not something you need to learn, especially for something like Anaconda that is supported on Windows too. Ultimately the “best” OS is just the one that does what it has to and you feel comfortable using. If you want to give Linux a go, great, it can be very fun and rewarding imo! But definitely don’t feel you have to use Linux, just because you’ve been told that; in the vast majority of cases (including running Python/Anaconda) Windows is just fine! :slight_smile:

In regards to the error message, it looks to be very similar to this issue raised on their GitHub issue tracking repository here, perhaps those same steps might also work for you? Note: I haven’t tried any of them myself since I’ve got no way to replicate the issue but the error message there is identical to the one you’re getting.

Happy coding!

Are you using Anaconda for navigating around a csv file? It sounds like a quotation marks issue or something similar.

If so, open the file in a text editor and then select “save with encoding”, then select UTF-8 for the encoding and then Save the file.

Or, when opening the file, maybe try this:
file.read().decode('UTF8', 'replace')

See:

and:

1 Like