Why does the browser crash?

This is my code with I want to list every number that isn't equal 5 until one of them equals to 5.

var valtozo = Math.floor(Math.random() * 6);
while (valtozo != 5) {
    console.log(valtozo);
   valtozo;
}

Let's run along your code.

var valtozo = Math.floor(Math.random() * 6);
Here you define valtozo. Let's say the result is 3

while (valtozo != 5) {
As long as valtozo is NOT 5...

console.log(valtozo);
... it logs valtozo into the console.

valtozo;
Here I assume you are trying to define valtozo again, with a new number. However, valtozo is a variable, not a function. Valtozo doesn't change - so the while loop will run forever (unless the starting number was 5).

To solve this, try putting valtozo = Math.floor(Math.random() * 6); into a function, and calling that function inside the while loop. However, make sure that valtozo is on a global scope, or else your code won't work.

You can do that by removing the var before valtozo when defining it inside the function.

I've thought valtozo always changes because it based on an actual random number.

Yes, valtozo can have 6 random values - 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. However, you are only defining valtozo once, so if valtozo is any number other than 5, it will stay like that until it's defined again. Like I said before, using valtozo; in your while loops doesn't redefine it - variables are not functions. In order to be able to redefine valtozo, you should make a function in which valtozo is defined, and run that function in the while loop.

I made this as an example of what your code should look like:

function randomizeNumber() {
   number = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10);
}
randomizeNumber();
while(number != 8) {
   console.log(number);
   randomizeNumber();
}

Remember to run your function once so valtozo is defined before starting the while loop.

This works. But idk why must I call function before AND inside while loop.

Since the function doesn't call itself, the function must be called once so that valtozo is defined. If it isn't, valtozo will be undefined, and the first thing console.log(number); logs, is 'undefined'. Inside the while loop, you should keep repeating the function so that you get a different number every time it loops.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.