Why do some string methods have the varible inside the brackets and others outside

During the lessons I have just used len() string method which I placed the Parrot variable within the brackets. The next task I used the .lower() string method and had to place parrot before e.g parrot.lower().
Why is that the case?

length isn’t something that only strings have, but converting to lower case is specific to strings

in the end, it’s a way of organizing things. the code for figuring out the length of a string still exists with the string object, the len function is requesting the length from that

len could have been a method, the reason it’s not is that the length is something that a couple of protocols make use of, and there is therefore a preference for not using len or length as a name used for that protocol, but instead __length__, and then we use len to access that behaviour

a similar behaviour is to be iterable, which is how for-loops are able to iterate through lists, strings, dicts, sets and so on.

because len() is a function call, while .lower() is a method, you will learn the difference later

Thank you! That was helpful!