Why do I need to use #{}

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/ruby-beginner-en-F3loB/2/4?curriculum_id=5059f8619189a5000201fbcb#

I just don't understand why I have to use "#{item1}: #{item2}" instead of being able to use item1 + ": " + item2

secret_identities.each do |value1, value2|
    puts "#{value1}: #{value2}"
end

puts value1 + ": " + value2
end

I think the real question is what "have to" means here, there are differences between:
- two equivalent actions
- two differing actions having the same effect
- two differing actions having different effects
So which scenario are you asking about, and what's stopping you from using the other action?

The second one is giving me a syntax error about an undefined local variable. My question I guess is doesn't having |value1, value2| technically make them local variables for that loop?

It does, which means you changed something else or you weren't getting that error message at all

$ cat tekkie.rb   # show the code I'm running
secret_identities = {'bob' => 'notbob'}

puts "#{value1}: #{value2}"
end

puts value1 + ": " + value2
end

$ ruby tekkie.rb  # showing that both have the same effect in this case
bob: notbob
bob: notbob

Hmm, that's strange. I went back and tried it again and now both methods are working now. Not sure why it wasn't before. Thanks.

Note that they are not equivalent though. What happens if the hash has numbers as keys and/or values?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.