Why am I asked to use CSS in the introductory course for HTML?

In the description of the CSS course it says:
" Note on Prerequisites:

We recommend that you complete Learn HTML before learning CSS."

However, I cannot complete the Tables section of the HTML course unless I do some CSS Styling. (https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-html/lessons/tables/exercises/table-css?action=resume_content_item)

The course there says: “The code in the example above demonstrates just some of the various table aspects you can style using the CSS properties you learned about earlier.”

I haven’t learned any CSS properties since learning HTML comes before learning CSS.

Have I missed something?

Niki

3 Likes

No you haven’t, You have to take the learn CSS course because you will have to style the tables.
But you don’t have to complete the whole CSS course because It isn’t that complex that you will need everything in that course.
:grinning:

3 Likes

yeah as far as I’ve seen you basically kind of glide through HTML and CSS until you get to Js. When it comes to JS then you want to really get everything right.

3 Likes

CSS adds more color to your webpage, and they just want some basics on CSS before you take it. That is probably the main reason.

It tells you basically what to do in the directions if you read them. If you don’t read the directions, well you should.

table, th, td {
  border: 1px solid black;
  font-family: Arial, sans-serif;
  text-align: center;
}

That is the code in the example. You should enough information there to complete the lesson. So if you’re stuck, you find the hint which says :

The `th, td` selector already exists for you in **style.css** .
So you go through the style.css till you find this:
th, td { (line 68 for me)
Then go to where it says font-size, and do your magic.
2 Likes

HTML, CSS, and JS all go together when building a webpage. So you might have a few moments of another language in that course between the three.

2 Likes

Thanks everybody for your responses.

2 Likes

You are possibly asked that because the person whom said that thinks that CSS would be a better way to introduce HTML, though HTML is better to learn before CSS.

1 Like