Why 2 if statements and not just an if/else?

So this i’m in the middle of doing the rock paper scissors project and i’m not having any issues but i’m wondering…On step 7 i create an if statement to check whether both parties throw the same hand, but then in step 8 it says to make another if statement to check if i threw rock and the computer threw something else other than rock and return the value with a string, But why not just continue the if statement from step 7 and just do an if/else? Here’s the code and link to the project. Rock, Paper, Scissors Project

const getUserChoice = userInput => {
  userInput= userInput.toLowerCase();
  if (userInput === 'rock' || userInput === 'paper' || userInput ==='scissors') {
    return userInput;
  } else {
    return console.log('Error!');
  }
}

const getComputerChoice = () => {
  const randNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 3);
  switch (randNum) {
    case 0:
      return 'rock';
      break;
    case 1:
      return 'paper';
      break;
    case 2:
      return 'scissors';
      break;
    default:
      return 'Error!'
      break;

}
}

const determineWinner = (userChoice, computerChoice) => {
  if (userChoice === computerChoice) {
    return `Both participants threw ${userChoice}, its a draw!`;
  } else if (userChoice)
}

Incase there is confusion i could do…

else if (userChoice === 'rock' && computerChoice === 'paper') {
     return  'The user threw rock and the computer threw paper...the computer wins!';
} else if ......

instead of 2 if statements followed by a return of the winner.

Never mind, i kind of get it it now. It reduces the amount of code, instead of having to write a scenario for each possibility for me throwing rock, it will check for both remaining possibilities left in 1 statement instead of 2 since throwing the same hand as the computer is already a calculated possibility.

This is the answer, but not for the reason you gave.

The biggest reason we might use this:

if (x) {
  return 1;
}
if (y) {
  return 2;
}

is to remove characters. That said, if you did this:

if (x) {
  console.log(1);
}
if (y) {
  console.log(2);
}

you’d be wasting time.

This is because when you use return, you’re ending the function with a return value. If x is true in the first example, the second if statement won’t even run. In the second example, however, both will run, since console.log() doesn’t end the function.

In the second case, you’d be better off doing this:

if (x) {
  console.log(1);
}
else if (y) {
  console.log(2);
}
else {
  // ...
}

or

if (x) {
  console.log(1);
}
else {
  if (y) {
    console.log(2);
  }
}

In the last two examples, the second console.log() won’t run if x is true.

Hmmm, okay well to start off, my question is why 2 if statments and not just an if else? like

if (blank) {
if (blank2) {
 return 'Hello'
} else {
 return 'Goodbye' 
}
}

could be written as

if (blank, blank2) {
 return 'Hello'
} else if (!blank, blank2) {
 return 'Goodbye'
} else if....

if im not mistaken i think that would work i would just have to console.log the function that the return value is stored in or add console.log into the return part.

I will admit tho it is good to know that console.log would cause a program to continue running if i didnt use return, im sure id have done it on accident at some point so thanks!

Hi,
You can usually write if, if else, etc conditions in a number of different ways.
Which you choose might depend on how you want to set the code out, or to improve readability.
For example, say if you had a function which took in a int. You didn’t want the code to run if it was 0.
You could either have;

if (n!=0){
    {rest of code block}}
}

OR

if (n==0){
    return;
}
  {rest of code block}
}

Both do the same but, to me, the second is clearer. The edge case is dealt with and can no longer be an issue inside the function.
Similarly with if / else if. You may find one way is clearer to you or one makes more sense with the way the code flows.