While My code is correct, I dont know why it is

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-beginner-en-IZ9Ra/2/2?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

shopping_list = ["banana", "orange", "apple"]

stock = {
"banana": 6,
"apple": 0,
"orange": 32,
"pear": 15
}

prices = {
"banana": 4,
"apple": 2,
"orange": 1.5,
"pear": 3
}

Write your code below!

What I wonder is how the loop knows to iterate over [item] in our list (shopping_list)

def compute_bill(food):
    total = 0
    for item in food:
        total += prices[item] 
    return total

in a way, it doesn't. food (the function parameter) is a placeholder, until you call the function and supply an argument (shopping_list), the parameter and argument are linked

I still dont quite get it. what do you mean that the paremeter and argument are linked, arent those two words just synonyms for a functions input?

Thank you so much for the fast response tho. Amazing community here.

linked isn't really the technical term, the value of the argument gets copied into the function parameter. So, a function parameter (food in your case) is a placeholder till it gets value from the argument you supply at function call:

# function with parameter food
def compute_bill(food):
    total = 0
    for item in food:
        total += prices[item] 
    return total

# function call with argument shopping_list
# value of shopping_list gets copied into function parameter
print compute_bill(shopping_list)

Oooh right, yeah totally get it now. The function will work for any list, forgot that. And until we call that list with shopping_list as an argument, nothing really happens..

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.