Which OS do you use?

so many people using Ubuntu OS These days. Is it that good of an OS?

1 Like

You can run it from an external boot and give it a try which is what I did. Though that was quite a complicated procedure for me, as well as the rest of the entire transition while keeping my data.

Personally I feel working on a Ubuntu only further strengthens one’s ability to troubleshoot in generally. The ability to find what you need to know is as essential as what you know, and that’s no exception on a linux. Learning the command line is quite important, as well as the many aspects of how it actually works, which you don’t actually have to know how windows works to use it.

Learning about package types and the many ways to install and update your repo’s, though it is a pain applying system updates, because my /boot partition is rather pathetic. I’m cautious about partitioning it larger because I ran into an issue where I deleted a key file from it, almost got locked completely out, however as I said, I was able to recover from it.

It’s quite a journey on ubuntu.

3 Likes

Your link again is windows vs mac. mac and linux might be unix based system, doesn’t make them the same.

@emgo_dev, i liked unity (the DE of ubuntu) in the beginning, but then i tried other DE’s, and then i didn’t like unity that much, you use unity? Yea, linux can’t always prevent the bad (some company’s dont write drivers for linux, not linux his fault), do you like ubuntu? Nice adventure on ubuntu.

@amanuel2, linux is build by developers by developers, which is why i love it. Pro’s:

• tweaking, you can tweak it in such a way that it suits you.
  • control, linux gives you control of the OS, stuff don’t just happens in the background, linux won’t hide things from you.
  • speed, windows10 made good steps, but linux is still fast, and doesn’t slow down like windows
  • open source, which has huge advantage. You can view and even tweak the code before installing it, good luck building a virus and nobody noticing while the code is open source.
  • package manager, all the packages in the software center you can trust, and if you don’t you simple download the source code, which pretty much reduce the change of getting a virus to 0, plus there is one place where you go instead of on the internet hoping you don’t get a infected packages. And you can update all software in one go! No need for individual program/OS to upgrade individually
  • command iine, the command line is heaven. So powerful, but simple and elegant. You can control you entire computer from the command line. Scripts can be simply, yet so powerful.
  • free, absolutely completely free. You don’t need to pay
  • linux is natively a server OS, so if you are a web developer for example, you can meet the server side. Plus, because it is a server, setting up a test web server, php, database etcetera is super easy
  • systemcontrol for startup, programs can’t just set themselves in the startup, so if you disable something, it stays disables (on windows, itunes, spotify enable themselves again after use)
  • drivers in kernel, no need to install drivers if your device is supported (mouse, keyboard, speakers, it is just plug and play)
    I could go on, but then my answer gets to long. Drawbacks:
  • not supported hardware
  • gaming, windows is best OS for gaming
3 Likes

It’s relatively easy to install multiple operating systems on a single computer.
Especially on a desktop.
Laptops from windows 8 and onwards got some rather annoying bios settings that’s supposed to make the computer safer but for the most part it’s just in the way of linux installations without really offering that much security…

When you have several OSes installed you simply pick what OS to launch shortly after turning on the computer.

2 Likes

Different preferences…
Myself I don’t want to deal with the privacy issues of windows 10 (they share data about you even if every single privacy setting is set to maximum privacy…

1 Like

Yep, the privacy in windows 10 is a bit of a problem, you can protect yourself online nicely (vpn, tor). And the torrent like system they use to disturbed the upgrade to windows 10 is a opt-out rather then a opt-in. Each os has its advantages and drawbacks

2 Likes

Linux seems to have a good desktop experience to me at least.
Of course with thousands upon thousands of linux distros out there your experience will vary.
If you’re referring to the use of the CLI (Command Line Interface) then that’s deliberate in many distros (some people in the linux communities actually prefer the CLI over a GUI), but in several of the more newbie friendly distros you’ll actually get a fairly well developed GUI capable of doing most if not all the things the CLI allows you to do.

Now regarding driver support I’ll agree with you however…
That said with vulkan coming up the drivers needed on the graphics front should hopefully improve, get simpler and (in case of AMD and Intel) open source and easy to deal with for the community.
On Nvidias side their OpenGL implimentation seems to actually be on pair with the windows OpenGL implementation if I don’t remember wrong (although that’s behind DirectX)
As for all of those other drivers out there for thousands of accessories…
It’s not really the fault of Linux as such that people don’t seem to want to target the OS with their hardware drivers.
It’s just a chicken and egg issue where the OS is less popular in part due to poor driver support leading to fewer companies making drivers for Linux leading to fewer users actually demanding said drivers…

As for your issues with it, tried talking with people in the IRC channel of the distro of your choice?
Possibly also others like Mint, Ubuntu or Arch (as well as the up stream distro from your distro of choice, like Fedora/Red Hat, Slackware or Debian) as well as possibly other upstream projects.

There’s a ton of smart people in the various communities that can usually figure out your issues one way or another.

1 Like

http://www.alandmoore.com/blog/2014/12/29/2015-desktop-environment-roundup/

There’s so many desktop environments for Linux these days that I can’t imagine what you feel is lacking there personally…

Did i say i feel like something is missing? I just sometimes it is isn’t as polished maybe as mac, given that only has on DE. But i like many of the DE for linux, but sometimes (if you have like me many installed) they sometimes, conflict, i have installed: xfce, kde, lxqt, cinnamon, lxde, mate, enlightenment, gnome and i3

But i think the DE’s are good, and you have a command line for many things, so why do you need a perfectly polished DE? Some people will not agree on that with me

3 Likes

Ugh, seriously, linux does not equal OS X.
They’re both unix like.
Or in other words they have things in common with a operating system named unix that used to be popular back in the days…
But they’ve both gone their own ways and there’s plenty of other unix like systems out there.
Comparing windows with OS X still doesn’t tell you anything at all worth a second of your attention span about any of the other unix like systems out there though.

Heck, even comparing one linux distro against windows still usually won’t tell you that much about windows vs linux as such given that there’s thousands of linux distros out there, many of them without the flaws that any one distro you might compare with will have.

One of the few cases where there’s a real difference that applies to all of linux is when it comes to driver support compared to windows or mac.
It’s simply a small OS and as such it’s targeted by fewer companies with their drivers.
And users tend to favor some use cases with each of the OSes over the others leading to said use case being better supported for software there.

Windows tend to have more driver support for accessories, better driver support for things like GPUs (and therefore better performance), and tends to lead in some professional use cases.

So some CAD work (if I don’t remember wrong) and for gaming Windows is usually your best bet.
Artists, photographers, journalists and anyone involved with professional printing tend to favour MAC in part because they’ve gone to great lengths to support these kinds of professions and with getting out of the way from the work-flow with all the hassles usually involved in keeping a OS running if I’m not much mistaken.

For servers Linux reigns supreme with extremely small marker shares for the other two main OSes out there.

Linux also seem to be fairly popular among programmers.
(A OS where you’re allowed to see the inner workings and customize things yourself as well as get a better understanding of it with the tools of your trade probably appeals to a lot of that crowd, also having to deal with the quirks of a computer might be less scary for a programmer then a lot of other computer users I think)

Other use cases…
Depends I guess…
Linux seem to have a lot of good audio software, but I don’t know much about that kind of stuff…

3 Likes

The cli is the reason I’m using linux, it’s the rest that’s immature.

At a distros core we’ve got the kernel to handle the hardware, systemd to handle processes, and all the gnu stuff that makes out the rest of the system. So far everything is great

But this is all optimized for a server. For a desktop, we then slap on X server, and make do with what we get. The desktop user is a second class citizen.

Windows and mac needs to sell to end users. Linux doesn’t need to sell, it’s developed by those that use it, people interested mainly in running thousands of servers.

1 Like

Yep, totally agree. I think that X server is actually okay, like i said, it is not as polished as mac OS or windows. But i don’t feel like something is absolutely lacking on my arch xfce. It works fine (windows snapping, workspaces)

2 Likes

Well, according to http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity it seems like both Debian and Linux Mint are more popular then Ubuntu at least among the people looking up OSes on there.
Debian is upstream from Ubuntu (that is Ubuntu is based on Debian) while Linux Mint is downstream from Ubuntu (that is Linux Mint uses Ubuntu as a foundation for making their own distro)

Personally I’m not a fan of Ubuntu and feel that ubuntu in general (and it’s default unity desktop environment version in particular) is sluggish and not particularly customizable.
Unity is a desktop environment that’s kind of like Gnome 3 but slightly less “insane” I guess you could say, it’s kind of a fork of it due to Canonical not agreeing in where Gnome was going
Personally I use Linux Mint 17.3 Mate edition (Mate is a desktop environment based on Gnome 2 but slightly updated. You could think of it as what gnome 2 might have become if the project hadn’t been replaced by gnome 3)
Another Mint project is Cinnamon, there they’re taking the backside of Gnome 3 and making something a bit more traditional and Gnome 2 like while still making use of the bells and whistles of Gnome 3.

Debian is upstream from Ubuntu and very, very customizable.
That’s part of why it is the parent of so many other distros including Ubuntu.
I haven’t actually tried it out myself, but from what I’ve heard it might be more suited for slightly more advanced linux users then Ubuntu, although it’s not quite as demanding as far as user knowledge and computer skills as Arch is.

But that said, if you want to play games on linux or want hardware to work out of the box then debian based distros in general and ubuntu based ones in particular tend to be targeted by more commercial hardware manufacturers and commercial software producers aiming for the regular desktop user then most of the other linux families are.

I’d recommend Linux Mint as your first distro myself if you want to get your feet wet while still keeping your training wheels on.

But any of those three options will serve you well, as long as you join their IRC channel to deal with any issues you might encounter.

The Mint IRC community and forum is great.
It’s issues tend to be shared with Ubuntu so the Ubuntu wiki is a great starting resource in your troubleshooting and you can usually search for your issue with ubuntu or linux as a search world together with the issue specific search terms to get solutions to get more useful results then just with the mint search results.
Also the arch wiki is always a great resource for help with any linux distro.
Just remember to translate any how to guides from there to your own distro specific solutions (you’ll quickly learn what arch terms and syntaxes equates those in your own distro).

At any rate, if you do feel like getting your feet wet I’ll wish you good luck (and if you try out mint, then welcome to the community, you’ll probably find me on IRC =)

2 Likes

Glad to hear about that. =)
Although Ubuntu is often thought of as linux with training wheels. :stuck_out_tongue:
Give debian or even better, arch, a try some day if you want a more challenging experience. =)

1 Like

VPN and Tor wouldn’t really be enough with Windows 10 if you want to be 100% sure that you don’t share something you don’t want.
You’d either have to get the enterprise version of Windows 10 (where you actually can turn of the last few privacy invasive settings, unlike Windows Pro and Home) or you’ll have to do a man in the middle attack on yourself and filter out anything going to Microsoft…

At least that’s the only two options I know of…

1 Like

Fair enough.
I’ll agree that X-server is seriously outdated… ><
And to be quite frank, so is OpenGL…
Once those two are replaced with something more modern (hopefully soon^tm) we’ll finally be able to move on as a desktop OS…

1 Like

Pls, your trying to say windows is not good. Please. And you write long Replys, each time…

1 Like

My personal feeling/opinion (that you of course are free to disagree with) is that windows is next to no good except in specific use cases.
If you want to do anything secure you’re better off on anything but windows.
If you want privacy you’re better of on anything other then windows.
If you care about the performance of your computer (from a CPU point of view) then windows isn’t all that good either.
What it’s good at is GPU performance and some accessories like the programmable buttons on gaming mice for instance.
And in general both Mac and Windows tends to have better support for things like printers.
And there’s software you won’t find on Linux (there’s some CAD software but most of it is Windows stuff for instance)

Now if you want to play new games that use DX10, 11 or 12 only then you’re better of on windows then on Linux, no doubt.
Linux can’t even run those.
And there’s quite a bit of applications coded to run on Mac or Windows that just won’t run on Linux (like many .NET applications in the case of Windows).

And there’s also the issue of personal preferences.
Some people just love Windows.

How do you use your computer?
What is it that you’d like your OS to actually do?
That plays a big role in what OS is best for you.

As for my long messages…
Sorry, a bad habit I guess…
I’m trying to keep them relatively short…

1 Like

@domaldel, I said vpn and tor will protect you online, but if you use windows 10 this won’t help you much since the OS is spying on you. Your answers are really long. Maybe reduce it a little and wait till people have responded. Keep in mind that distrowatch count the number of times a page of a distro is visited on distrowatch. So, that number is not very accurate. Why would people who use arch use distrowatch? I think the people who use arch rarely do

@amanuel2, windows is good, but has it drawbacks. Same for mac and linux, both are having its advantages and drawbacks. But i haven’t heard an argument from you for why windows 10 is good (yes, you posted links, but why do you think windows 10 is good?)

2 Likes

Long reply is the best kind of reply

Windows is great for point and click, that’s what it’s designed for. It’s fine to develop on too, there are editors and compilers, you’re all set. It’s got the polish and it’s pleasant to use, I see no problem. Sure you can protest against NSA and all that, gnu/linux makes a stronger promise about your security… Got sensitive data? Use linux. Otherwise? Let other people sort that business out. If you want to mess around with webservers or other tools that are much more convenient on linux systems, use a vm. If for some reason you prefer to be on linux the whole time, go ahead. But the grass isn’t necessarily greener on the other side of the fence, you don’t need to feel that way. If what you have works and you have no complaints, go right ahead and continue to use it until you are made aware of a good reason that you’d want to switch.

Arch vs Debian - Debian’s product is its stable release. Using that on your desktop is like living in the stone age. They intentionally do not update things so that the system behaves exactly the same throughout its lifespan. They also have Sid, which would be a lot like Arch, except it’s meant for testing things that will potentially go into stable. Arch is the final product.
I claim that Arch is much easier to use than Sid thanks to its wiki and thanks to that it is designed to be easy to configure through text files. Debian modifies its packages, I doubt that makes it easier to use. If you’re gonna run a server for years on end, by all means, Debian is a fine choice. For your pc? Probably not so much.

2 Likes