Which Codecademy Intensive is right for this DB project?

Hello!
Hope this post is under the correct category! :slight_smile:

I’m tasked with building a website that connects to a relational database. The website needs to be able to allow users to login and access the records of the database. I’ll also need to generate some simple reports and create a dashboard that shows these reports to the users. Additionally I’ll need to be able to access and store files stored in the cloud (currently Dropbox).

My questions are:

1. What languages are recommended to complete this project?
  2. Is there a specific Codecademy Intensive course that would be suitable for this? (I’m thinking either Build Front-End Web Applications from Scratch, or Build Web APIs from Scratch)

So far I’ve been working through both the Javascript and Python courses.

Thanks again for any help/recommendations!

Best regards,
Will

What is the database? Mysql? mongoDB? Nosql? there are so many, or are you also free to pick the database as long as its supports relations?

Any language will do really: python (django or flask), ruby (ruby on rails), golang, PHP (with or without framework, both is possible) or Java (and possible more)

Yes, I’m free to pick a database. Their current db can be exported to an Excel or CSV file, so I can import it into whatever I choose.

On one hand that is great, given you pick what you know best. On the other hand, you might want to look at the different options to see what might be best for the project, which can be a massive challenge

So, I’m not a database programmer and my only experience has been with MS Access a few years ago. I’m open to learning anything new and ideally something that I can learn in a relatively short amount of time (which is why I was looking at the Pro Intensive courses).

Do you have a “favorite” db or one that you would recommend?

The answer i write now is not neutral, its based on personal preference.

I like django (python web framework) a lot, you can build something fast because of all the built-in features, django uses postgresql, but:

Django automatically gives you a database-abstraction API that lets you create, retrieve, update and delete objects

which is really nice and neat, and the models can also easily be implemented in Django

it also has a built-in authentication system which allows for customization.

and given you already have worked in python, it might be a viable option. Python is also all general purpose programming language, so generating those reports is very likely easy to integrate.