Where's the output?

how do i see the the output of my javascript in visual studio code. In codecademy when we’re learning there’s a black terminal and we see the output there. So how do I see the output like that in vsc?

This is where things get complicated. The codecademy course mostly focuses on teaching you JavaScript by using the console. From MDN documentation:

The console object provides access to the browser’s debugging console

this is why we had console.log(), so .log() is a method on console object. This is also what you saw in the lesson, a console integrated in Codecademy Learning environment.

However, JavaScript is often used to make website more dynamic (we can make request, listen for event (mouse, key presses) and more).

VScode seem to have some documentation on the mater:

JavaScript Programming with Visual Studio Code
Debugging in Visual Studio Code

you can also make a html file, link the JS file using <script>, then open the html file with your browser, and use your browser built-in console.

or if that is too complicated at the moment, there a lot of websites (codepen.io, jsfiddle.net and more) on which you can run your code

ahh ok i got the chrome part but wbut the terminal ?

Do you run chrome browser separately or some kind of integration within VScode? If you run chrome separately , you can access the dev tools (f12 is the short-key) and then select the console tab

like I said, JavaScript is often used on web-pages, so this is very likely what VScode will integrate/emulate some kind of browser. How to also see the console is something you would need to google, and something I provided two links for from the VScode documentation in my previous post

you should now better know what you are looking for :slight_smile:

Figuring some of this out on your own, will give you a much better understanding then that I run you through all the steps. These challenges are part of programming. I can help you, but at the end of the day, you have to do it

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: thnx

If you need further help, I will of course help you.

But getting through this on your own, can possible teach you a lot more then someone guiding you through. Hope you can understand that :slight_smile:

Have a look at the below extension on the marketplace, it might aid you with what you are looking to do.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=formulahendry.code-runner