Where to start?

Hey guys. So I’ve been putting this off for a while because I had a heavy school workload but I just graduated with a degree in Economics. I want to expand my analytical skills and to learn new skills. But I have no idea where to start. I saw the data science path and would like to start that but should I learn something else first like html or css. I would eventually like to learn programming and web development but it all seem so much right now. Anyone have any recommendation or tips on how to navigate this?

6 Likes

I mean, I would always recommend not trying to load yourself down with to much stuff no matter what. IMHO I would find something that you can really use your current knowledge for. Seeing as I know nothing about what an economics degree does I might not be able to help. But it’s AWESOME that you want to keep learning new things.

6 Likes

It depends which path you want to take.

The Web Developement Path:
This path is mainly for building webpages. This contains languages such as HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, and more.

Programming Path:
This path is used for programming apps, games, or whatever. The contains languages such as Python, C++, Java, and more.

Not sure which to take? Then try this quiz:

https://www.codecademy.com/welcome/find-a-course

I hope this helps =)

4 Likes

Hey there,

If you want to get started on the data science path, by all means go for it!
It’ll be a good match with wanting to expand your analytical skills.

You don’t need to do any HTML or CSS beforehand.
If you ever feel like trying out front-end development later on, you’ll be able to go and learn those two (and after the data science path, it should be fairly easy).

Good on you with wanting to do something different than your degree.

Welcome to our world. Hope you like it.

8 Likes