Where do I start?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

I want to create a website myself, however I know next to nothing about web design. I understand it would be easier to hire a developer, but the object of the website isn’t to create income, I just want to be able to build it myself. The idea I have seems pretty basic if I knew what I was doing, but I have no clue where to start: essentially I want to incorporate live sports scores into the page and sort them based on an algorithm.

Would you recommend taking courses on codeacademy to start, or to purchase the domain and hosting and try and fudge it from there?

If anyone has any resources relating to what I’m talking about in regards to the content of the website (or building live sorting algorithms) or any general advice it would be much appreciated.

3 Likes

There are plenty of tools to create websites with simple drag and drop, to name just a few: WordPress, Wix, Joomla, Magento, Weebly.

If you purely want to build a website, these tool suit the job, the effort to learn to build a website from scratch will take a lot longer.

The front-end of a website consist of three languages: html (elements and structure on a webpage), css (styling, positioning and some animation) and Javascript (for dynamic content and animations)

so start with learn html and learn css courses on codecademy. After that, move on to bootstrap (css library to quickly build responsive websites). By that time, good change you better understand JS and its role, and could consider it.

html & css are markup languages, they are relative easy. However, making a website responsive (looking good on both small and large screen), is a bit more tricky. And for a website to look good, color schemes and fonts are also important.

3 Likes

You do not need an algorithm to do this.

To start I strongly recommend planning your website out. Download an App like AdobeXD to get the design down. Write down what you want to do, brainstorm, really plan this out well.

Like I said, without knowing exactly what you want to do I cant really help you, But You absolutley do not need algorithms to sort MOST data types.

@stetim94’s Suggestions are great.

Use these. Unless you want to be a web developer IMHO.

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Badges and more

@eltypo

Codecademy free courses are good to start with, then if you can, the Pro courses which can be more advanced.

1 Like

HTML, JavaScript: those would be great starting points; but hold up for a second. If you haven’t already learnt Python, I highly recommend you learn it before those suggested previously because it is essential to learn the basics of Python before you go coding in other web languages. There are some websites you can use too: WordPress, SquareSpace, Wix, GoDaddy, Weebly, Magneto and some others. Out of those, I would recommend Wix and WordPress as they have simple yet extraordinary interfaces

3 Likes

I haven’t learned python yet…maybe I will…hmmmmmmm

1 Like

I recommend you learn it ASAP as it is very handy.

3 Likes

So should I do Javascript or Python or C++ first though?

Also, what are your qualifications? Why should I be listening to you? (no offense intended)

2 Likes

My teacher, my parents, and when I used to use an app called SoloLearn to learn to code, they all said your coding life would be simpler if you learn python before any others.
No offence taken (as I never take offence anyways :smiley:

3 Likes

Ok cool, I’ll check it out. It seems that once you get one actual language (Not just scripting like Html, CSS, SQL) that everything else is easier to learn.

2 Likes

If you ever used scratch.mit.edu/ when you were younger, it would make Python look less like 'OMG this looks like it will take forever to make it display one sentence. Python is used commonly by scientists to record information and data.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know what python is used for. And if you know what CS50 is, I’ve already done the scratch part.

1 Like

I don’t know what that is, it sounds like CSS.

1 Like

CS50 is Harvard Universities Introduction to computer science program.

1 Like

Cool. At my school, we use Python, Micro:Bit, Raspberry Pi and HTML.

1 Like

It depends what you’re doing. If you’re doing web based things, JS would be better to learn first. If you’re want to learn more toward app/programming, use Python or C++

Sololearn isn’t as friendly as here in my opinion though it is a good resource to use for free.

1 Like

Really? Stricter? I notice they use ads though if you get the app.

Codecademy has most all of Sololearn’s courses for free as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

Whats Stricter? I can’t find what you’re referring to.

2 Likes

Python is a nice general purpose language.
If you have something specific in mind, then there may be something else you want to learn.
For example, if wanting to do something for browsers then you’re obviously stuck with javascript (unless compiling from another language to javascript)
Or, if looking to do concurrent IO (communicating with several things) then go would probably give you an easier time than python. nodejs is probably also good for concurrent io because all its io is non-blocking
Or if for whatever reason IO isn’t the bottleneck (it often is) and you also happen to need closer to bare metal speed then you’d go for something in that department
For windows/mac specific things there’s c#/swift

Many imperative languages are mostly the same and are therefore straightforward to learn more of.
Functional languages are quite different, and can be like starting over from nothing. (recursion instead of loops, no statements, can’t modify existing values)

2 Likes