When I try to install jekyll, it doesn't accept command

I'm trying to install jekyll, but the Command Prompt/Terminal/Command Line gives me this:
'gem' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Not sure what to do, any advice?

You should tell us if you ran that command in a Codecademy exercise or on your local computer (we suspect the latter).

I was trying it on my computer. Does the operating sysyem affect how this works?

Yes it does. I've never tried this, but you will want to do a search for the steps needed to install Jekyll on Windows -- if that is what you want to do. The Jekyll site has this https://jekyllrb.com/docs/windows/#installation.

gem install jekyll that's how you do

@hungryrobot yes, but gem needs to be installed

@netblaster82783 what you're doing is equivalent to clicking at empty space on your desktop expecting something to happen. You are getting feedback telling you why nothing happens. That feedback isn't visual, it's text, but all the same concepts apply. You'd install and create a shortcut on the desktop to click, you'd install and make sure that the executable is in the search path.

It might be worth considering using a virtual machine with a linux distro installed on it, those are designed to be controlled from the command line. On windows it seems to be more a matter of exposing what is underneath the GUI's, with the GUI's still being the main interfaces.

2 posts were split to a new topic: I gave jekyll command new personal_website but i doesnt giving given rply

2 posts were split to a new topic: I keep typing it in and its just not responding

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.