When adding variables inside a function

In the first screenshot , the function getSubTotal uses a parameter “itemCount” and then when the same function is called later, it takes “orderCount” as an argument, which is a variable defined on the top of the code as well as used with a math method ++; inside the function takeOrder
This is the approach this codecademy lesson example uses.

I became curious if I could just use “orderCount” as the parameter for the function getSubTotal instead of “itemCount” because I thought maybe I don’t need to create one extra variable to point out the same thing. So I created a code in the second screenshot, and it seems to yield the same output. - Apparently as a new user, i can’t add more than one image, so here is the alternative code:

let orderCount = 0;

const takeOrder = (topping) => {
orderCount ++;
return Order: pizza topped with ${topping}
};

const getSubTotal = (orderCount) => {
return orderCount * 10
};

console.log(takeOrder(‘mushroom’));
console.log(takeOrder(‘pepparoni’));
console.log(Total Quantity: ${orderCount});
console.log(Subtotal: $${getSubTotal(orderCount)});

Could you tell me which code structure (between code in the screenshot and the alternative code I wrote) you like better and why? And is there any error or not-so-good element in the alternative code? I’d love to learn how the real programmers really thinks because i am new to coding. Thanks!

Your function shouldn’t be accessing things that are outside itself, if you for example later call your function with the value 5, your 5 would get ignored because your function doesn’t care what the argument given to it was, it looks at itemCount instead

function add(a, b) {
  // this function ignores arguments given to it,
  // so why bother having parameters?
  // (a and b are not used)
  return c + d;
}
let c = 7;
let d = 8;
console.log(add(1, 2));  // should print 3

Thank you for the reply! I wish I can understand what you mean. I think some of it is beyond what I am learning now. Once I have more experience, I will come back.

Nothing complicated there.

Functions take some input and produce some output.

What you’re suggesting is to ignore input. If you do that, the function stops being useful.

This is opening my eyes, so I appreciate it. I tried to compare the code structure you wrote for me with mine to understand which indicates what. Still struggling a bit. Would you expound a bit more on "What you’re suggesting is to ignore input.’? I think I get it about 50%.

I am new here too, but I think it really doesn’t matter what you name the functions parameter since its just a ‘place holder’ for a value, of course it’s best to name the parameter that relates to the programs function.

I have a question on the exact same lesson - orderCount vs itemCount.
I understand why to give them different names, but I don’t understand how the program knows how many items to multiply by 7.5

does ‘orderCount++’ tell itemCount how many pizzas were ordered?

The program knows how many items are multiplied by the function ‘takeOrder’.

orderCount++ is the way how the function calculates.

Everytime the takeOrder function is called it will use ‘orderCount++’ to add 1 to the current value of the global variable orderCount.

You can try this to understand it a little more:

call takeOrder as many times you want and simply ‘console.log(orderCount);’ to see how many orders has been taken.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.