What should I do with the Node.js lesson in the Full Stack Developer path curriculum?

Hi everyone,

I somehow feel like I’m mssing something. This lesson about “What is Node” talks a lot about web server stuff which has not been covered before. It also shows a video that explains how to install node.js locally on a Mac and use it with the terminal (I assume that’s the Mac version of the console).

This is all very confusing to me because it sounds like I should know a lot this stuff already (e. g. the paragraphs about modules and globals)

As I am on a Windows machine, I downloaded node.js and installed it for Windows but I have no clue at all how I should use it together with the GitBash terminal i downloaded and installed in one of the prior lessons. I also thought I might code some scripts in VS Code but also have no clue, how Node.js, the GitBash and VS Code work together as they - as per the curriculums recommendation - all access different folders on my local filesystem.

E. g. GitBash is in my user folder and can’t get out of it, VS Code uses a local folder “projects” right under my C drive and I have no clue how and where Node.js, that I just installed, is running.

Should I just skip this and proceed through these lessons, hoping they get clearer later on or what is the expectation here?

This is specifically the lesson I am referring to: https://www.codecademy.com/paths/full-stack-engineer-career-path/tracks/fscp-javascript-syntax-part-i/modules/fscp-running-javascript/articles/what-is-node

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction, because i Have the feeling, I should know all this but feel a little bit blind (where I live they say: you don’t see the forest because of all the trees :grin: )

Thank you very much in advance!!

Hey there,

Launch your command prompt and type: node -v
This will determine if you have Node installed on your machine correctly. This command will display the version number. I’m currently running v14.15.0

If it says, “‘node’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,” then Node is not installed correctly! Go back to the instructions and try again.

If it is installed correctly,y and you see a version number, try the following:

1. Create a .js file and save it on your desktop:
let a = 5;
console.log(a)

1. Jump back into your command prompt, and navigate to your file:

cd desktop (assuming you saved the file to your desktop).

1. Type: node <file_name.js>

(replace file_name for whatever your file name is)

Once you hit enter, you should see the integer 5 displayed on your screen, and if you do, then rest assured, Node.js is installed on your machine!

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks a lot @seraph776 … This really helped

I could see that I installed node the right way, because the commands you provided worked.

The one problem I have that the GitBash terminal lets me not jump to the desktop.

Did I install it in the wrong spot? The highest level it goes to is “somewhere in my user directory”. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to specify that more clearly as I cannot find any such dir in the users folder.

See this screenshot (sorry, if that all sounds completely dumb):

If you’re at the root directory, try to navigate to your user directory like so:

cd c/Users/<your_username>

This should bring you to your User directory. From there change directory again to your desktop:

cd desktop

Here, I used ls to display files on my desktop. I want to execute “hello.js”

Now, from the terminal, type:
node hello.js

This will command Node to execute the file!

I hope this helps!

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Sorry, but couldn’t stop laughing for the first five minutes after reading this.
I can see you already have the solution so I just thought to stop by and say hi. If you face a problem again feel free to connect.
Happy Coding!

Ohh hey!
I can tell you something useful there. Using gitbash, type cd and press enter. This helps to be able to navigate in any drive or folder or make an changes.
To know if this worked correctly you need to look this
Screenshot 2020-12-08 103341

Now to change drive just type cd and then the drive letter like this

You can see your current working directory is shown by the text in yellow color.
In green color you see the home or root directory.
The initial command takes us out of the being just a user to be able to change drives.

You can do change drives without the first command but sometimes it makes things worse and you might encounter error which I did.
So that’s my personal advice. You could still go changing drives without the first cd command.

1 Like

Once again, facepalm moments :slight_smile:

Problem solved, thank you @seraph776 and @armaan_barak

1 Like