What program should I learn first?

What can I learn which can benefit me in the real world?

Depends on what you want to do.

If it’s supposed to go on the web (sharing with other people) then you will need html, probably css, and if it’s supposed to do anything at all aside from displaying a page you’ll need javascript.
If that was a house then html would be the walls, roof, floor, css would be the curtains, rugs, plants, and javascript would be the tv, stereo, dishwasher, etc

For anything else, for things that are only supposed to run on your own machine, python probably does it for you (and is a whole lot nicer to deal with than javascript and web pages)

2 Likes

Hi!
I suggest going for HTML & CSS first, as it is extremely useful and also gives you a basic feel of coding. As you finish the courses, you can start Python, Ruby or JAVAScript courses. Progressing from easy levels to hard ones helps a lot in understanding each code.(At least it’s what I believe in:D )

1 Like

HTML & CSS first. Then, out of Python, Ruby and JAVAScript: how would you rank them, from easiest to learn to the most difficult to learn?

I started my learning-to-code-journey with the HTML course. I grasped this programming language quickly. It made sense to me. I could read the code like a book.

Then, I read somewhere that Python was the “most-used programming language” and among the easiest to learn. I chose this for my second course. It was drastically different from HTML, to my beginner’s eyes, and it was confusing as heck. I need to return a second time and give it another go. Perhaps I missed something that would have tied it all together for me.

Has anyone else experienced this?
or do I need to stick at it and it will begin to “make sense” in time?

Thanks!

Start with some beginner tutorials and my recommendation would be to start working on projects, even if they’re tiny. Programming starts solidifying once you start applying it to actual projects.

Here’s a picture of the top languages on GitHub in reference to pull requests. You’re not wrong in the idea that Python is popular.