What languages should I go into after HTML AND CSS?

A few years ago I began to learn HTML and CSS, and I finished the course. But after that I drifted away from programming and now I’m starting fresh. So I am going to start with HTML and CSS, but what should I do after that, I’m trying to focus on website design for now, thanks in advance!

That depends upon your aspirations and goals.

Front-end Developer

If you want to be a front-end developer, then focus your attention on JavaScript and the various frameworks and libraries that speed up JS development (such as jQuery, Vue.js, React, Angular, etc.).

Make sure you understand HTTP also.

Back-end Developer

If you want to be a back-end developer, then you need to select a server-side language:

• Node.js (JavaScript)
  • PHP
  • Python
  • Ruby

Pick one of them and then focus on mastering that language and its available frameworks. For example:

• PHP has Symfony and Laravel
  • Python has Django
  • Ruby has RoR (Ruby on Rails)

Other things to master:

• SQL and databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, and more.
  • HTTP and HTTP/2
  • Linux web server basics

Full-Stack Developer

You’ll need all of the above.

Tips

Pick a language and then master it. If you want to specialize in Python for example, focus there first. Learn the fundamentals of programming using one language.

Why? You’ll find that all languages use the same building blocks. All of them. Once you master those building blocks in one programming language like JavaScript or Python, then you can more easily move from language to language.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.