What is the number in the Bootstrap `.col-sm-...` (i.e. `.col-sm-6`) class for? Can I use any number I want?

Question

What is the number in the Bootstrap .col-sm-... (i.e. .col-sm-6) class for? Can I use any number I want?

Answer

The number in the Bootstrap .col-sm-... class is the number of columns you want a particular column to span, you can choose whole numbers between 1 - 12. In a single Bootstrap .row the columns must add up to 12 columns total.

3 Likes

What is are the <section> </section> tags and the <figure> </figure> tags?

3 Likes

Thanks to [quote=“aubsrey, post:1, topic:361704, full:true”]

Question

What is the number in the Bootstrap .col-sm-... (i.e. .col-sm-6) class for? Can I use any number I want?

Answer

The number in the Bootstrap .col-sm-... class is the number of columns you want a particular column to span, you can choose whole numbers between 1 - 12. In a single Bootstrap .row the columns must add up to 12 columns total.
[/quote]

aubsrey

!

If it doesn’t add up to twelve, it will assume the next element as the completion to make up twelve columns.

1 Like

they are essentially divs with fancy names. They are defined that way under the HTML 5 specs to add more semantic meaning to our content.

Earlier we used to write those elements as <div class=“section”> <div class=“figure”> and so on. We can still use it like that but using semantic names gives more meaning to your html code.

For more information you can go through the following article

3 Likes

Hi, the links to the images at amazonaws.com are broken for this lesson on my end. Thought you might like to know.

Working fine for me…

I haven’t aunderstand the role the numbers inside the col-sm-...Can anyone explain it to me?