What is the importance of using the blockquote tag?

Instead of typing the blockcode element and quotations
which will disappear we don’t type above mentioned
I hope it may be better.

Hey there and welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:

I’m not certain I understand your full question here, what tag are you mentioning instead of <blockquote>?

<blockquote> and <q> don’t disappear but have an effect on how their content is displayed. <blockquote> displays its content with an indented left-margin offsetting it from the rest of its sibling elements, and <q>, which is used for in line quotation (such as within a <p>), displays its contents enclosed in quotation marks:

<p> 8-bit once said <q> This paragraph contains a quotation.</q></p>

The above will be displayed as:

8-bit once said " This paragraph contains a quotation. "
                ^                                      ^
                 \       Added quotation marks        /

Both of these tags are also semantic, meaning they help web browsers and bots to better understand the content on a webpage. In their case, they state that their content is quoted, and using their cite attribute, say were the citation is from:

<blockquote cite="website being sited from"> 
  <p> Citation from website </p>
</blockquote>
1 Like

Instead of typing the blockcode element and quotations
which will disappear then what is need to typing time waste

They don’t just disappear though, try running this code:

<blockquote>
  <p> E Pluribus Enum </p>
</blockquote>

You’ll see an indent on the left side compared to the rest of the text on the page, at the same time, the quotation element adds quotes around its content.

More importantly is the semantic purpose of the element. Search engines run hundreds and thousands of bots constantly through the web reading pages to get information about them and provide accurate listing when one uses say Google for example. Semantic HTML elements help bots to better understand what information is contained in a page. Both <blockquote> and <q> tell bots that the content in them is a quote from another source.

1 Like