What is the difference between the output of .map and .forEach

First of all I am unable to find Javascript iterators when pulling up the additional topic.

Here is the exercise:
<a href='https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-javascript-iterators/lessons/javascript-iterators/exercises/iterators-review?action=lesson_resume&course_redirect=introduction-to-javascript>barefoot!

Also, how do I properly format the link above?

Now the real issue:

Here is .map():

There are different animals that make up an array, which is posted directly below this line
let animals = ['Hen', 'elephant', 'llama', 'leopard', 'ostrich', 'Whale', 'octopus', 'rabbit', 'lion', 'dog'];

let secretMessage = animals.map(function(animal) {
return animal.charAt(0);});

Here is .ofEach():

let fruits = ['mango', 'papaya', 'pineapple', 'apple'];

// Iterate over fruits below
fruits.forEach(function(fruitItem) {console.log('-' + fruitItem);});

I’m making sure I understand the concept!

Let me be clear, I was hoping to use .forEach on the first one (that uses .map) and .map on the second one, that uses .forEach.

have you checked documentation? forEach will simple give you each value in the list (through a callback function), which you can do something with

.map() is similair, but it constructs a new array (with the returned result of the callback function). forEach only loops, it doesn’t create an array.

A post was split to a new topic: Map and reduce application

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.