What is naive method in Python?

Please explain it naively, as I am a python naive :laughing:

What do you mean? What is the context?

Naive approach or naive solution in math and computer science is sometimes taken to mean: straightforward attempt to solve solution. It’s sometimes shown as a preface to a proof to show what the methodology is that spurred a more sophisticated approach.

A common example is used when introduction proof by induction.
The naive approach is to notice a property (like a fibonacci sequence), generalize it, and call it a day. Upon further inspection you might realize that you need a proper base case (or 2 in this example) for the general formula to work.

My personal favorite “wrong” proof is all horses are the same color: All horses are the same color - Wikipedia

1 Like

My first thought was that they were referring to the datetime module, since it’s what immediately comes to mind when thinking of “aware” or “naive” objects in Python.

The docs explain the difference pretty well in that case…

1 Like

I thought he could be talking about naive bayes… hahaha. And I think the term naive is mentioned in some string slicing module… hm I didn’t know this about datetime thanks for the link!

1 Like

That’s definitely another possibility… guess we’ll have to wait and see what the OP comes back with! :slight_smile: