What is meant by cheating, plagiarism, or dishonesty in the Codeacademy Integrity Policy?

The Integrity Policy states:

We do not, under any circumstances, tolerate cheating, plagiarism, or dishonesty.

Please do not post answers, or ask for them. This will be removed as part of our commitment to integrity.

Some people may help you by posting some code or showing you errors, but the goal of which must be to help another to learn ; cheating is not tolerated. If we see cheating, a volunteer moderator, superuser, or community manager will delete the post, and, depending on the infraction, you may have your account banned.

Which to me sounds like:

However I don’t understand:

• What is an example of answer that cannot be posted?
  • Answer to what?
  • What is an example of “asking for answer” that cannot be posted?
  • How is this related to cheating, plagiarism or dishonesty?

Some practical examples would be very much appreciated.

I honestly think that If somebody is going mad as a hatter because doesn’t understand something, only the Answer will help overcome the issue/doubts and probably learn, as we are prone to learn from failure.

Cheers,

3 Likes

It means leading the person to their answer rather than just giving the answer outright.

Does one really effectively learn coding concepts and how to code if they only receive answers? Does one achieve a thorough understanding of what the code is actually doing if they don’t think through each piece of code?

4 Likes

Hey!
I think that whatever is the delivery method, it’s ultimately up to the individual to decide how he/she wants to learn. Somebody can be mega receptive to feedback, analogies and/or hints while others may just need the entire solution fast to check for him/herself and later make the thinking in solitude.

The same features “view solution”, “video walkthrough” and “post your solution in this thread” provide an ultimate answer/cheat that I think is in contradiction with this policy, or at least what I perceive this policy communicates.

I feel like that if it would be up to me to apply this policy as per I understand it I think I should delete several of my posts. So it kind of destabilise me a little. :slight_smile:

Sure, yea, it’s up to the learner how they want to learn.
But, the policy (and I didn’t create the policy, I follow it) of this platform—the learner Forum is what it is stated. They want to foster an environment where answers are not just given but thought processes are engaged in learning to code.
If someone just gives you the answers to an exam and you pass, cool. But, do you really know and understand the material in the exam? No.

2 Likes

The policy is mainly related to cheating on actual courses from accredited institutions. Questions asking for answers to homework assignments, etc. Anyone taking a CC course can, as you’ve said, click a button to get the solution, or follow a walkthrough video. There’s a difference between online tutorials, and actual school work for a grade. We don’t condone or allow cheating. We don’t do others’ homework for them. As @lisalisaj has explained, it is far better for the learner to come to the solution on their own with guidance from others rather than simply having the solution handed to them, so they can move on to the next exercise.

5 Likes

Ah, I was not aware of that. That makes sense. So how can I know/understand when to give an answer to someone that is not actually trying to cheat his/her way through a better grade?

1 Like

As @lisalisaj said, it’s best to not simply post answers. Frequently, I’ll post an example of working code that is similar to the problem the member is trying to solve, but posting code that can be copy/pasted without changing anything isn’t all that conducive to learning in my opinion.

Also, I believe using the [spoiler][/spoiler] tags to blur out code, prevents it from being copied.

def code_example(param):
  return f'This function was called with {param} as the argument.'

print(code_example('pizza'))
2 Likes

Nope unfortunately, I like pizza though good choice :slight_smile:

def code_example(param):
return f’This function was called with {param} as the argument.’

print(code_example(‘pizza’)

1 Like

only the answer will help overcome the issue/doubts and probably learn, as we are prone to learn from failure.

If I may add another (similar) angle: the frustration is also related to the fundamental building blocks of the problem not being applied accordingly.

The elements of time (giving something space), reflection, and perseverance are all crucial components that are developed in these kinds of situations.

Giving a literal answer deprives the person asking the question of this process. Of course, there are exceptions to this (did you turn the computer on, sir?) but I think on the whole, it works better to be constructive.

2 Likes

Did you have to use the get raw text button from the ‘show more’ menu to copy?
Prior to that button’s existence an attempt to copy/paste blurred code would yield something like:

))

For my own part, it’s always a good indication of interest if we can get the learner to engage. That means us asking them questions. It may be slow and arduous, sometimes, but in the end the learner has more to look back on than just an answer. There is a thread of minutia all emanating out of the single problem, which leads to better understanding and introspection.

3 Likes

No, I’m using Opera, don’t know if it’s something browser related. I just click on text and an option appears :slight_smile:

Oh. Gotcha.

So, thank you all for your answers. What I ultimately get is that: whatever method is used to answer a question it should eventually stimulate the other person to reason. So, hopefully I’ll keep trying to do that when I answer other people’s posts.

Cheers, :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.