What is Data Science for?

Hello everyone, my dream is to work on solving problems in the fields of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. Would Data Science help me get there? Or what career path would you advise me to take in order to achieve my dream? Also, what is Data Science for? Thank you!

Hello @design7719027421, welcome to the forums! There are a few courses/paths offered by Codecademy: a skill path(needs PRO), a skill path (needs PRO), and a course-you don’t need PRO for the lessons.

Data Science may be useful, in fact some of the languages that come up on the CC search for Machine Learning include R-and language used heavily in data science, however (as far as I’m aware), you should probably learn the other courses first, then if you feel you want to do some data science as well, take courses related to it.

Data Science (@lisalisaj, correct me if I’m wrong) is used to collect and sort through large amount of data, to try to find patterns within it.

1 Like

Thank you for answering! I have already taken the computer science path here on Codecademy, and I also have a lot of experience programming with java. My question is to know if taking the Data Science path would be something really useful towards my goal because if not I think I would be losing time by not focusing on other topics that could be more aligned with what I need. Thanks a lot.

I think you would do better to study the other courses I recommended (in my first post) relating to machine learning first, as they will help you a lot.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forums.
I would suggest doing some research and possibly checking out this guy, Daniel Bourke who is a ML engineer. He has articles on Medium and some YT videos on this exact subject: how to become a ML engineer. He’s here: https://youtu.be/cZ2HCclgQ-g
and here .

I’m definitely no expert, but off the top of my head, I’d suggest taking another programming language like Python b/c you need foundational skills. You need to learn to think computationally. It’s good you the the CS course to begin with.

But, more to your point, you might want to check out CC’s catalogue b/c there’s an entire section devoted to ML. But, as I mentioned above, you should look into learning Python.
https://www.codecademy.com/catalog/subject/machine-learning

3 Likes

Thank you very much!
The links seem very helpful. I will do more research on the topic.

1 Like