What is Cyber Security Training ? Is It Good Carrer Option For Freshers?

What does Cyber Security Training entail, and is it a promising career choice for individuals new to the field? I’m curious about the nature of Cyber Security Training programs and whether they offer a viable career path for beginners looking to enter the industry.

I presume you mean like a cyber bootcamp thing?

Generally speaking, I’d advise you to steer clear. I’ve read too many horror stories of people who’ve done them, didn’t read (or didn’t understand) the small print that the provider will “train you” (for some debatable definition of “training”) with strings attached, and found out that afterwards they’re going to be shipped off to do grunt work for terrible pay and the “training company” will take a fat slice as repayment for the privilege.

Depending on what bit of “cybersecurity” you’re thinking appeals to you, here’s some suggestions (which will probably cost less than a bootcamp):

• Wanna red/blue team? (This is typically what people think of when they think “cyber”.) Work on problem solving skills, communication skills, and report writing. Soft skills, not just technical acumen, are really important. You’ll need to know how stuff works before you’ll be able to break it or get it to do stuff it wasn’t meant to (red team), or be able to defend/secure/harden it (blue team). Find an online learning platform, like HackTheBox/TryHackMe/Portswigger Academy (to name a few), and get cracking WITH WRITEUPS! Document what you’re doing, whether it worked (great!) and also whether it didn’t. It’s all well and good turning around to a potential employer with a pile of “I completed ${room}” certs; good writeups will show that not only can you do the work, you can document/communicate it which you’ll need to do if you’re going to submit reports to clients or as part of a larger team.

• Wanna do information security? CISM is a reasonable bet, assuming you can think critically and are able to ingest the material and apply it. This stuff isn’t a checkbox exercise, though you’ll probably find a lot of “training” that will try and convince you that it is; the core principles are what you want, and the ability to apply them to the situation. There is not a “one size fits all standard” for security. Avoid CISSP.

There’s also no shortage of people currently floating about, on places like LinkedIn, in the following two categories:

1. People who’ll tell you “I got my start in cyber by riding the helldesk*, getting skilled up and learning the basics, then moving up/into cyber… so you must do this also!! This is the only acceptable way to get into cyber blah blah blah blah…”

and

1. People who’ll tell you that the people in group #1 are idiots and to ignore them, and to focus directly on whatever area of cyber you want to go into.

Neither of these groups of people are entierly right. If you’re good at networking, you may be able to leverage that to get into your desired area without needing to ride the desk or work up to it - and if you can do that, great! If you’ve got the skills for the job, you don’t necessarily need years of prior experience to do the “entry level” stuff that’s advertised in this space and employers are gradually coming around to that.

Equally, there’s nothing wrong with getting a foot in the door by getting on the helpdesk and seizing that as an opportunity to get your hands on as much as possible and learning about it with a view to moving up. Those are the people for whom I have no shortage of time, and I have historically had them shadow me or otherwise got them involved with stuff to help them upskill. They’re the people you want on the desk, not the cabbages who expect advancement with no effort on their part, and generally the people who have the capability to move up don’t stick around on the desk for long!

Is any of this a guarantee that you’ll get a cyber job? Nope. It’s an area that is in high demand, there’s a lot of people who want in, and there’s no shortage of people peddling BS courses/bootcamps etc with nonsense claims about how you can do a 4-week course and land a $$$$$ job.

One of the most important things I can tell you, and possibly one of the most valuable skills in this space, is being able to think for yourself. This is all just my opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt, but hopefully it’ll be of some value for you. If you’re happy to put the work in, maybe some of the above resources will help you (and I hope it does), but I don’t know everything and I can only go off my own experience - which is 6-and-a-bit years in blue world, and yes I came up through the helpdesk.

TL;DR: If you are expecting to be able to take a short course anywhere and waltz into a cybersecurity job, you ARE going to be disappointed.

Cheerio! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Sir.

Very Satisfied Wth Your Information.

Reagrds,
Veer