What is a section element?

The lesson “Learn HTML: Forms - How a Form Works” seems to introduce the section element without any explanation. I searched for more information on the section element (and when we should use it) on Codecademy but only found the FAQ forum post “FAQ: Semantic HTML - Section Element” from October 2018 that seemed to indicate that the section element used to be described in the lesson “Semantic HTML.” However, I can no longer find this lesson.

I tried to look up the difference between the section element and the div element on this Stack Overflow post, but am still confused. Could Codecademy please bring back the “Semantic HTML” lesson or other lesson that covers the section element? I would like to know more about when to use the section element (and not) and have the section element described in plain English.

(Also, it makes me curious as to if lessons on HTML that were previously accessible have since been made inaccessible?)

Thank you.

2 Likes

To learn about semantic HTML, I recommend this CodeCademy video:

Also I myself have written about it after quite a bit of trial and error to figure out how to properly use semantic HTML elements such as : https://medium.com/@masakudamatsu/semantic-html-as-graphic-design-without-graphics-ac98e9c2d756

Hope these help!

17 Likes

Thanks MasaKu, that was a good and clarifying read

2 Likes

in this section of course i’am seeing different tags like “meta,link,section” which are not even introduced before.How can i understand what those tags are doing???

13 Likes

I couldn’t get what an http is and the connection and method thing :cry:, can someone recommend mea video ?

Did you saw the link they provided in the lecture?
It’s pretty straightforward and gives you a basic idea of how it works. It even makes an analogy in the case you haven’t understand it. Last but not least they also provide you another link to try yourself to see how it works with the Inspector Element from Google Chrome’s Developer Tools. I’ve managed to know how to see it in Firefox myself without checking on Google and it’s pretty fun.

If you still have doubts about it, you can simply search what is HTTP on Google and see the result. If you prefer to see videos, you can search on YouTube.

1 Like

thank you! I’ll check the link again :heart_eyes:

The tag is used to link stylesheet files to your HTML files. In other words, you use it to link your CSS file with your HTML file. I wouldn’t worry about it too much right now, as I imagine that they’ll explain what it is in the CSS course. I haven’t a clue on what and does, but I guess that is probably very similar to the

tag.

Hi I have a question. If there any other any input field for “method” other than “POST”?
Also, can someone send me a list of attributes implemented by Morzilla Developers?

Div has no semantics and is only used as a styling or scripting tag. For a section of thematic content, section is applicable. If the content can be separated from the context and can exist as a complete and independent piece of content, then article is applicable, like comment part on the website. You can check this link to figure out the difference.

1 Like

Hi @bitsolver35998, I found this explanation on the Mozilla Dev Docs

" The HTML <section> element represents a standalone section — which doesn’t have a more specific semantic element to represent it — contained within an HTML document. Typically, but not always, sections have a heading."

Cheers!
James