What if I don't have a Computer Science degree?

Question

What if I don’t have a Computer Science degree?

Answer

Having a degree related to Computer Science or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) definitely helps, but is not an absolute requirement in most Computer Science fields. In fact, it is no longer rare that developers have an unrelated degree or no degree at all, and the number of such developers continues to grow.

However, to enter and succeed in the field without a Computer Science degree, it is important to make sure you learn all the important concepts that would have been covered in the degree and are required for the job. In addition, it can be helpful to make projects, contribute to open source projects, join hackathons, and network with others in the field.

149 Likes

i think than learn code fondations its elemental to keeping going in code path professional… just now, i´m learning it… before i coninue witha a full stack path

:yum:

11 Likes

I have a learning disability that has made higher education difficult for me. But computer science is my special interest. Beyond the practical applications is it possible to learn advanced CS theory on my own? Does anyone have book recommendations or other resources?

2 Likes

Just as a note, regarding the STEM subjects, how much would a maths qualification benefit someone looking for work within a coding role, and would there be a particular level that would sit nicely alongside knowledge of coding?

google cs50 it is a free course I came across when learning gamedev