What do I need to start working with machine learning?

Question

This lesson, provided an introduction to machine learning. What do I need to get started working with machine learning?

Answer

To get started working with machine learning, you only need a few things.

First, you will need a language to write your machine learning code in, and an editor. Python is probably the most accessible and easy to use, as well as one of the most powerful languages for machine learning. To get Python, we suggest downloading Anaconda, which is a package manager for Python that includes Python and many useful packages. It also comes with Jupyter Notebook, an application that runs on your browser, and lets you edit and run code directly in the browser.

Once you’ve installed Python, you would need to install the required packages for machine learning, if not already included. These include sklearn, numpy, and matplotlib.

Once you have all that, you’re ready to get started! You can obtain datasets for testing out your models from online resources like Kaggle.com, or you can even create your own datasets.

34 Likes

Question : Is it possible to follow the exercices in the ML Path using Colab?

Thanks,
H

1 Like

You can do it but you would need to then upload the dataset to Colab after you download it on your machine.

For this course, should I download the Python 2.7 or 3.7 IDE? Is it worthwhile having both for other courses and when I write my own programs?

Help plizz : i just finished learning python, i want to take here the course of basics of ML, but I wonder if I must first learn MATH before starting this course?

Learning math is definitely not a compulsion. Having a basic idea of concepts like probability, linear algebra, vectors is definitely a plus though. It helps you understand the algorithm deeper, but it is not a prerequisite. I started learning ML before getting into the math.

3 Likes

I am going to build an image recognition app using machine learning. I will implement supervised learning to use predictive models to decipher whether the picture is a picture of a gopher or not a gopher.

The kind of future that I want to see is one where I can harness the power of machine learning and I can contribute to helping make the world a better place.

2 Likes