What coding Language best to make Email service, Like Hotmail / Yahoo etc

I’m just about to start Code Academy’s 30 day coding Challenge but I want to know the best language to learn if I want to make an Email service similar to Yahoo / Hotmail. for a project I am thinking about launching but want to know if its even possible first.

Any help would be amazing as you’ve no idea how hard it’s been to get a straight forward answer.

I’m a reasonably fast learner but only about 70% tech savvy so the best/easiest language to learn which would get the job done would be best :slight_smile:

Thanks all in advance
Scotch

Hey Scotch,

Welcome to the forums.

So that’s a tough task, and the “language” is the least of your concerns. Cool project, though.

Whether it’s Yahoo, Hotmail (Outlook), Gmail, AOL, iCloud… the language doesn’t really matter.

Yahoo was built with PHP, and Outlook probably C# with .NET. Gmail, C++ and Java.

And there’s, obviously, always JavaScript on the front-end.

You could use Ruby, Python, Java, C#, PHP, Node.js, C++, Go… it doesn’t matter.

This is probably why you’re not getting a straight forward answer. I don’t think there is one.

So you’ll need a few of them anyway,

• HTML
  • CSS
  • JavaScript
  • SQL (?)

And then one of

• Ruby / Python / Java / C# / PHP / JavaScript (Node.js) / C++ / Go

It’s a matter of preference. If you don’t want to learn more languages than you have to, stick to JavaScript on both the front-end and back-end.

If you want something easy to learn and deploy, use PHP.

If you want a challenge, go with Java or C++.

You could also just build a MVP in a simpler language, and then rebuild in something else.

Debatable. Best in terms of? Out of those mentioned, probably C++. But then again, debatable.

I’m biased, but PHP. Easy to learn, deploy, runs everywhere, for cheap.

They all would.

Why not give some of those a shot (all available here on Codecademy), just to have a quick glance at their syntax and see which you like best? If you want something easy to learn; PHP, Python, Ruby. If you only want one language on both the front-end and back-end, JavaScript.

You’ll also have to look into networks, servers, protocols, security…

Best of luck!

1 Like

Wow that’s amazing!

I wasn’t expecting such an in-depth answer but this is really helpful and I truly appreciate the time you took to respond :blush:

I’m actually looking for partners on this project as well so if I couldn’t manage to build it myself I now at least know what skills I need people to have before I hire them.

Thanks again
Scotch

1 Like