What are your biggest struggles while you are learning to code?

I have the same problem, I’ve been really struggling to learn JavaScript. When i read the lessons here most of the time I can follow along but if there’s no instructions or steps i can do nothing. I keep repeating the same courses here trying different study methods but so far nothing is sticking with me.

I hope you can find something that works for you or someone will have some advice. Best of luck.

Hello @afsheen01 , @byte5723385929

Sometimes it takes a few tries for a topic to solidify. Continue on learning the steps first. Doing one of the projects at the end, helps reinforce topics you’ve learned.

2 Likes

I’ve repeated the same first few parts of a few java and programming courses here at least 5 times in the last 3 months and i can’t remember a single thing. The projects are a total failure, even with the hints and video i don’t understand anything

1 Like

yeah, i am kinda really excited about the course i am doing and just can’t figure out what else should i do with it. Think it will take time but i’ll figure it out gradually but its taking a lot of time. Thank you though for consoling. wish you best of luck. :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

yeah, i’ve been doing those extra projects as well, got one right, one 84% right and one 92% right, beside those projects embedded in the exercises, it helps a lot i just can’t think of other scenarios where i should use them , you know like some mock projects on my own or anything. Although i am doing a webDev course and just got through css and started js, i highly doubt myself and can’t move forward. if that makes any sense. Any suggestion or solution for it?

Yes, it makes a lot of sense. It’s that feeling of “now what”.

There are code challenges here:
[Challenge] Build a Web Page for Your Favorite Band

As well as, look for a To-Do list tutorial in Javascript to get a better understanding of how it works in real life. Search for project based tutorials in a language you want to practice. This way you are not starting from scratch completely.

1 Like

Okay then maybe the approach to learning needs to be complemented with another approach. Try finding tutorial projects for the language you are learning. Don’t give up, keep trying. I know it can feel like nothing makes sense and one day a it all comes together. :bulb:

1 Like

I just want to let you know that it feels like there is no progress but there is. It just takes time and it’s only after that you will notice that. Keep it going and do not stop.

1 Like

Thank you! will try that and let you know how it goes. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thank you. I hope I can learn something eventually. I have been looking for other ways to practice and compliment what I’m learning here but everything else is too advanced it is so frustrating. I need something with instructions and all the steps like in the lessons here…I don’t know how to write any code or where to look it up on google. I can’t learn enough to do a basic exercise anywhere…i don’t know what to do.

What course/path are you taking?

As I mentioned above, try searching for "tutorial ". You would be surprised how many step-by-step tutorials are out there including videos. I did encounter some that didn’t “work out” in the end but you get a good idea of where to start. Make sure the articles are not too old.

1 Like

I’ve taken intro to programing and repeated the entire intro to javascruot 4 times in 3
Months…all i’ve learned is this stuff is for smart people and i’ve always been an idiot so no surprise i can’t do anything except console.log();

All the tutorials i’ve tried are over my head but I’m also a total idiot. If there is something else maybe i’ll try that but i’ll probably fail, assuming i could even follow the linsturctions if there are any. Ex: write a function

What is a function? Where was that in the lessons? Nothing makes sense

No offense, but maybe it’s your ‘I’m an idiot. I’ll fail.’ mindset that’s hindering you from learning. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by everything you have to learn, just take it step by step. Also, don’t sweat the small details. Just learn how to do something and what that something does.

function functionName(parameter){
}

Why waste time trying to understand every little thing of how to define a function(for example). Just simplify your understanding so you can easily reuse this syntax whenever you need to make a function.

4 Likes

Hey, take a break and take it easy. You’re able to follow thru the lessons. That’s one step in the right direction. You are learning the pieces of a bigger puzzle.

Whenever you are doing a lesson and don’t understand the lesson completely, try posting a specific question here on the forums. We’ll try to help you.

Really try to be specific in what you don’t understand. Hang in there, you can do this. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m not sweating details, i don’t even get the basics. I haven’t learned what anything does. The code above… i have no idea what any of means or what to do. I don’t know what syntax is…like the errors? I don’t know what those mean either.

I’ve done my best to change my mindset but i am still pretty stupid. I wish it was different but
I’m used to being confused. This seems no different.

I’m not learning anything though. I can’t ask questions because i don’t understand how to ask the right question or what the answers are. I just get to a point after a few steps here where nothing works or makes sense.

Maybe i should take a break… i’ve wasted so much time trying to learn something i just can’t even get the basicis of

Hey there.

Look, I get how you feel. But the more you keep telling yourself “I’m stupid” or “I can’t do this”, the harder it will be to learn anything. Just whenever those thoughts come, DON’T say them. Whenever you feel like that, start saying positive stuff to yourself. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but it actually helps you change your mindset, trust me.

The questions you have are the right questions. Don’t feel afraid to ask them even when you feel like they are the wrong questions. (Trust me, I’ve been there). And don’t try to get more and more knowledge inside your head if your basics aren’t solid, cause in the end, all your knowledge will collapse.

Taking a break is always good. You can always come back with a fresh pair of eyes and a new mindset.

Also, you should be proud that you haven’t gave up with coding even when you feel like it is really hard. Persistence is such an admirable skill :wink:

5 Likes

Hey @byte5723385929 ,

I think it’s good to take a step back. If you took Intro to Programming, you should try Python maybe instead of Javascript. It’s probably not a good first programming language to start with. I have quite a bit of experience and Javascript can be very confusing.

So when we say syntax - it’s the rules of what needs to be typed to get the computer to do something. If you have a syntax error - it means that whatever you’ve typed the computer doesn’t understand. It has to be in a very specific format or it just doesn’t work.

You are just typing commands to get the computer to something for you.

2 Likes

You sound like one of my friend lol. I know it is mad frustrating when you don’t understand whatever you’re trying to do not matter how hard you try it. Just remember that you will feel like that so many times in this lifestyle but the amount of joy you get when you get that line of code to work and your code to execute and run is just incredible and I guarantee you that you’ll feel like your efforts were worth it. I remember the day I just wrote my first web-page, I felt like I was Mark Z or a real programmer when I really didn’t understand much, it felt like I really could do anything lol. All I am saying is that, to just to get that feeling you should try more and even a different language to see how it goes.

3 Likes

Hello, I took a two month break to get put back together in school.
I am doing good again in coding and I have been slowly working it back into my day.
I thought it would be a good time to start the 30 day challenge so I’ve forgotten a little bit so could you remind me what this is used for

`${}`