What are the ways that you (yes, you) practice coding each day?

Hey guys! I thought I’d start this thread as I’ve seen a lot of people asking the same question. What better way for people to find answers and be inspired than to just open it up as a group discussion? :-3

To start, here are some of the ways I like to practice:

1. Find super cool things on code-pen that you want to recreate (p.s. code-pen is awesome)
  2. Find something on a website that looks super awesome and try to recreate it on your own (DevTools can help you out there) Can’t think of anything awesome? I find the dropdown menu that shows up when you select your icon on code-academy pretty interesting, and I want to recreate it tomorrow (as an example).
  3. Google “practice CSS grid projects” or “practice html project ideas”, etc–you will find looooaaaaddddssss of materials. Loads.
  4. Do the code_academy build challenges (and don’t follow the directions/use the directions as hints)
  5. Make stuff up and make it on your local computer with a code editor (I use atom, its free and easy to use)
  6. Do tutorials on youtube, my favorite are code ninja videos, its a dope youtube channel where some British guy teaches you a programming/coding topic and provides a follow along project to do while you watch it~ preetttyyy doooppeee
  7. Play coding games (just look them up, there are lots . For example, I like grid critters and flex zombies)
  8. Just keep creating! Even if its super stupid, just make stuff up. The more you use it, the better you will become at it.
  9. Do a project a day! (or more if you want)

Can’t wait to hear from you guys!

3 Likes

I personally loooove the idea of trying to recreate something from a cool website, I should try it soon :ok_hand:

I like to practice coding by analyzing my life and finding problems I can solve with coding. For example, I am currently working on a money management Android app for myself (even though there are already MAAANY out there, I wanted to give it a try myself).

But also you just made me realize I should start practicing a little more, since I have been taking a lot of courses lately and there’s no way all that information will stay in my brain if I don’t give it some use. So thanks! :smiley:

Btw your moving profile picture freaked me out lol :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wow! I love the idea of creating your own app! I should try that one day, thats so interesting! What kind of languages are you using to make it? :slight_smile:
XD Im sorry it scared you, hahahah, have you ever seen any studio ghibli movies? Love Loki, btw.

1 Like

Yep, apps are probably my favorite thing to develop :yum:
Well, it depends on the OS you’re going to create an app for. For Android, you use Java (although Kotlin is now gaining a lot popularity too). And I think you use Swift for iOS.

Lol don’t worry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Nope, I have never watched any studio ghibli movies, but since I’ve been hearing a lot about them I might as well give them a chance soon :slightly_smiling_face:
And I’m so happy to know you like Loki too :star_struck: :ok_hand:
(You’re like, the first person I find here that likes something Marvel-related lol)

team up with someone who also have same interest, share your experience with them

1 Like

My interests and ambition is programming. So I chose programming way before. Even though I know some programming languages, It does not mean I master it. Till now i’m a learner, Even if a non experienced person guides me, I’ll take that as a solution and knowledge. So basically solving problems and creating puzzles are part of it. Daily practice of even 1 hr/day is enough. But you have to make sure you practice a lot. Because I’ve seen people randomly byhearting related codes and working out for days even weeks. It’s full of fun and always feels good to do. We are humans, So that we can’t code all day. But enough hours gives you satisfaction, You’re in the right path.

1 Like