What are the differences between `var` and `let`? Which should I use?

I ran both examples using var instead of let keyword in my browser console and both outputs where exactly the same as if using let (Burrito and 350). Based on this result, please help me better understand the differences.

8 Likes

I would like to know the difference as well.

So do ı 
 What’s difference?

2 Likes

here is a good explanation:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/762011/whats-the-difference-between-using-let-and-var-to-declare-a-variable-in-jav

which goes into more depth, the simplified version is that let is block scoped:

if (true){
   let letVariable = 'hello world';
   var varVariable = 'hello world';
   console.log(varVariable);
   console.log(letVariable);
}
console.log(varVariable);
console.log(letVariable); // syntax error or undefined

this is because the variable declared with let only exist within the if block (between the {})

118 Likes

Hi Codecademy learners. This is with respect to the exercise “difference between var and let” - the lesson says that we can only reassign variables that were declared using “let”. But I ran the same example example using “var” and it still works. Why is that? What is the little difference that I’m missing? I found a link to one of the codecademy posts that says let is block-scoped and var is not. So what happens if I need to change a global variable (doesn’t that global variable need be declared as var in that case?)

var meal = 'Enchiladas';
console.log(meal); // Output: Enchiladas
meal = 'Burrito';
console.log(meal); // Output: Burrito
6 Likes

just like any piece of software, programming languages get updates. The latest major update of javascript was in 2015 (version 6, known as es6 or emcascript 2015). Before 2015 we then obviously had version 5 (es5)

let and const where introduced in es6, so when the lesson says we can only reassign variable declared with let, its comparing with const, not the older var (var is es5, or maybe older)

no, we can declare global variable with let, then the scope is the same (global). But you need to be aware of the block scope when that comes into play (when variable are declared in a block). Global variable declared with let are not added to the window object (see the stackoverflow question in my previous answer in this topic)

Var has not become completely useless, but the problem is that when you just start to learn JS, these concepts (like the window object), are difficult to grasp, because you don’t have much experience with them. So its okay if you don’t comprehend it all yet, that will come with time

47 Likes

Thank you! It helped.

2 Likes

The difference is scoping. var is scoped to the nearest function block and let is scoped to the nearest enclosing block, which can be smaller than a function block. Both are global if outside any block.

Also, variables declared with let are not accessible before they are declared in their enclosing block. As seen in the demo, this will throw a ReferenceError exception.

Global:

They are very similar when used like this outside a function block.

let me = 'go';  // globally scoped
var i = 'able'; // globally scoped

However, global variables defined with let will not be added as properties on the global window object like those defined with var .

console.log(window.me); // undefined
console.log(window.i); // 'able'

Function:

They are identical when used like this in a function block.

function ingWithinEstablishedParameters() {
    let terOfRecommendation = 'awesome worker!'; //function block scoped
    var sityCheerleading = 'go!'; //function block scoped
}

Block:

Here is the difference. let is only visible in the for() loop and var is visible to the whole function.

function allyIlliterate() {
    //tuce is *not* visible out here

for( let tuce = 0; tuce < 5; tuce++ ) {
        //tuce is only visible in here (and in the for() parentheses)
        //and there is a separate tuce variable for each iteration of the loop
    }

//tuce is *not* visible out here
}

function byE40() {
    //nish *is* visible out here

for( var nish = 0; nish < 5; nish++ ) {
        //nish is visible to the whole function
    }

//nish *is* visible out here
}

Redeclaration:

Assuming strict mode, var will let you re-declare the same variable in the same scope. On the other hand, let will not:

'use strict';
let me = 'foo';
let me = 'bar'; // SyntaxError: Identifier 'me' has already been declared
'use strict';
var me = 'foo';
var me = 'bar'; // No problem, `me` is replaced.
64 Likes

What is the difference between var and let keywords like when to use var or when to use let ?

1 Like

var has function scope, while let has block scope:

function example():
   if (true) {
      var functionScope = true;
      let blockScope = true;
   }
   console.log(functionScope);
   console.log(blockScope); // this line gives an error
}

the reason why blockScope gives an error, is because it only exists within the if block. functionScope is also defined within the if block, but its scope rules are different

you should use let mostly, given its newer and block scope leads to less scope pollution and bugs. For now, assume this is true, you will learn more about it once you gain more experience.

9 Likes

Thank you @matrenitski. very well explained.

I haven’t really understand what is the difference between var and let. And I am saying that, because even if I create a var or a let, I can change them both later
 Their values I mean.

have you read some of the answers in this topic? There are plenty of answers explaining the differences

This being the most extensive answer:

FAQ: Variables - Create a Variable: let

1 Like

I still find it hard to understand the difference.

2 Likes

Again, did you read the explanations in this topic? There are several

1 Like

Thank you for detailed explanation. However, many of us who did not have computer science background will find hard to follow your terminology used here.

7 Likes

So is var immutable?
Also, if we don’t have to use var or let to create a variable, then why or when should we use let or var?

Scope rules. For example:

x = 3;

const example = () => {
  x = 5;
}
example()

console.log(x);

vs:

let x = 3;

const example = () => {
  let x = 5;
}
example()

console.log(x);

now you don’t overwrite global variable by accident (which could otherwise lead to bugs)

preferable, use let, which is block scoped:

for (var i = 0; i < 5; i++){
  console.log(i);
}
console.log(i);

vs:

for (let i = 0; i < 5; i++){
  console.log(i);
}
console.log(i); // gives error

With let, the variable doesn’t pollute the scope and only exists when it has to

1 Like

I have a question about the ‘let’ keyword. what is the difference between that and just reassigning the variable? what would be the difference between this code:
var ranNum = 5;

console.log(ranNum);

ranNum = 10;

console.log(ranNum);

and this code?:
let ranNum = 5;

console.log(ranNum);

ranNum = 10;

console.log(ranNum);

In this case? Not much, but you have to understand the difference between let and var.

let is block scoped:

if (true) {
    let x = 3;
}

console.log(x); // error

while var is functional scoped:

if (true) {
    var x = 3;
}

console.log(x);  //logs 3
4 Likes