Welcome to our forums! Please Introduce Yourself

Hello. My name is Emanuel and I’ve been self learning for a few months. I’m starting a 6 month full-stack Boot Camp this month and want to brush up to make this a smooth transition from self taught to schooling(Which is why I went with the codecademy pro membership). I’m hoping to acquire the skills to start 2019 off with a bang and snag a nice job which I can work my way up the totem pole. I love programming and have wanted to code since I was a child. So I’ve always dabbled here and there. I just boxed up my Ps4 and other distractions and can’t wait to see where I can be in the next 2 years as a developer in Philadelphia. So far I know the basics of HTML and CSS. JavaScript here I come.

I’ve worked in the information technology industry for many years. Several years ago I was stricken with a debilitating neurological disorder. It’s a condition that affects the fine motor control in my hands. Consequently, I can no longer perform simple tasks like using eating utensils, tying my shoes or buttoning my shirt. Most significantly, I can no longer use a keyboard. To communicate with and control my computer, I use speech recognition software. Currently, I use Dragon Individual Professional by Nuance. as a UNIX system administrator, 95% of my job involved sitting at a keyboard. Speech recognition software was the obvious remedy, but it requires an isolated environment. Ambient noise interferes with the process. Currently, the ideal working environment is my home office!

My quest for a job conducive to my special needs has brought me to Codecademy. I’ve always felt that there’s plenty of room in the industry for good Web developers. It’s a job that I could do in the controlled environment of my home office. Toward that end, I enrolled in Codecademy’s “Build Websites from Scratch” course. Although I have yet to finish that course, I managed to land my first “commission.”

My sister is a psychologist in Evans Georgia. Until June of this year she had a website that had been developed by a gentleman named David. Tragically, David passed away late last year. David maintained sites for several customers. In June of this year, when the hosting company could not reach him, many of those sites were shut down – including my sister’s. My sister didn’t have access to the account. She lost the site as well as her domain name. She was anxious to get the site restored. I wasn’t sure that one (incomplete) Codcademy course was sufficient to provide me with the necessary skills to build a site for her, but after assessing the requirements, I decided to give it a try. She had already received a quote of $4000 from one developer, so at the very least I thought I could save her some money.

After several weeks we got her site published! It’s still a work in progress, but she and I agreed that it was important to get something published as soon as possible. The process of deploying a “real” site was quite rigorous. This is already a lengthy introduction, so I will spare you the details. Suffice it to say that I have more gray hair now than when I started.

I’m new to coding too, Karena.

Hi, I’m Frank, I am 51 years old. I am a technical writer and currently retraining to become a front-end developer. I am based in Germany. I’ve coded before in Ruby and Python, and I find it very sad that Ruby seems to go out of fashion. To me, it’s the best programming language ever, but I guess at least 70% of all people say that about the language they learned first. I always found Codecademy a great place to get familiar with the basics of any programming language.

Best of luck to everybody around here,

Frank.

Hello all!

My name’s Jess, and I’m not so much new to coding as I haven’t done any in a looooong time, so I’m a bit rusty.

Right now, I’m actually unemployed (I’m seeking residency in a new country and I can’t hold a job). In the past, though, I’ve been a high school math teacher. I’m not fluent in my new language yet and I want to sink my teeth into something a bit less socially taxing, so I’m playing with the idea of being a computer scientist of some sort. Who knows.

I took Java years ago in college, an even longer time ago I was thrown head-first into C++ (no, I don’t remember any of it), and now I’m playing with Python. My husband is also trying to get me to use Go, but for now I’m focusing on Python and then Java.

Nice to meet you all!

Hi there! :raising_hand_man:t2:

I’m Anton and currently live in Moscow. Work for a Native Ads Network. To improve my skills at work I came here to study the basics of the code. Will be glad to chat and help any time :sunglasses:
And this post goes to #general, I suppose. Let’s get started, then.

Hi, folks! My name is Brayan. I live in Medellín, Colombia. I’m student of System Engineering and I love Mathematics, Philosophy and Algorithms. I’m very excite for this new project. I want to improve my skills and if you have any question or advice I’ll be very happy to respond and receive them.

¡Successes!

Hi ! I am Al from Bangladesh. I am new here, just starting. Just graduated from college. I have no formal training. But because of some personal projects, I had the opportunity to learn a little html, css, javascript and c programming. I really liked coding and so I am here to learn more. I intend to use it professionally. Codecademy suggested python for me, so I am starting with that.

Hi!

I’m Eddie, 34, male, new to the coding and the SQL world!

Excited to start learning how to actually be good at it, have had some experience with excel macros ect.

I personally love formulas/processes so I think once I get the hang of SQL it’ll become a favourite past time :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m Tim. I switched careers and now work in the energy industry. I plan to use my new coding skills professionally, since our SCADA systems use SQL. I chose code academy because I wanted projects that would allow me to test my knowledge. So far, I found the SQL course very useful. I am now on the Data Science path. I have not attended any meetups or events, nor do I have an examples of real world work yet.

Hey guys!
Im Gabriel. Im mexican-french (Hola and Salut mecs !). Im currently studying in France and I want to learn programming to work at Google Paris in the future.
À plus tard !