Welcome to our forums! Please Introduce Yourself

Hey everyone!

My name is Mark, and I’m from the Netherlands.
The last 3 years I’ve lived in Korea and started a company focusing on improving the health of the people of Korea through customized fitness and nutrition. Now we’ve switched to building a platform for foreigners in the entertainment industry in Korea.

That change happened because I had to work on the side when I was building my startup, and made my money by doing shoots for Korean dramas, movies and commercials. They sometimes needed foreigners for it.

Now I started Codecademy to learn the tech-side of starting a business and hopefully also earning some money on the side by doing some projects.

I started learning Python here today!

I hope Codecademy will further my career.

Cheers!

Hello!

I am now studying Software Technologies and Design, Bachelor of Science. It was 16 years old when I first used Codecademy and still checking for updated courses about new stuff and every time I finish them faster and faster.

Cheers!

Hi, everyone! Glad to be here and hope to learn each other later on.

Hi folks!

My name is Gordon, I’m a Team Manager (Customer Support) for a video game company. I love the company I work for, I hate my job though. It’s not that it’s bad so much as it’s not what I want to do with my life professionally.

It took me a long time to really come to that realization, not a thought fleeting at the edges of my mind but a fully formed realization that I wasn’t fulfilled. I had tried picking up coding here and there but couldn’t stay engaged with it in the long term. I recently had my epiphany because of a temporary assignment that took me outside of the CS Landscape and into an area where I could use actual skills that I had gained over the course of my career in a way that I hadn’t had the opportunity to before. It was a freeing experience but also an eye-opening one. I can rise above where I’m at, if I put my mind to something, I can pick up a task and run with it. I wasn’t afraid to fail, I wasn’t afraid to make mistakes.

When I came back home, to my full-time job it was a punch to the gut, I slipped back into old habits. I was unhappy and quite frankly listless. This, however, leads me to now and the point I’ve reached where I feel I’m ready to make the changes to get where I want to be in life. I had originally intended to go to University for Computer Science, but some less than ideal choices and life happened so that didn’t come to fruition in my years after high school. So, I find myself here at Codecademy.

My hope is to skill up and get into a position to find a Junior Web Developer position. Competition is fierce, but I feel that intense hunger to succeed and push forward. I’m currently taking the Introduction to JavaScript course and reading Eloquent JavaScript by Marijn Haverbeke alongside the lessons. I’ve been taking notes through each course that I can refer to myself to help my learning processes and information retention.

I’m dipping my toes into the water of a community in hopes of interacting with folks on the same path. Finding people to lean on as mentors and to keep each other’s spirits high and always moving forward.

Anywho…. That’s me. Hello, nice to meet you!

i am a web designer and working at the lotus spa delhi

Hi, my name is Trish. I am an IT professional, presently working in the entertainment / media industry. I am brand new to Code Academy, and am going to use it to learn Javascript. In my job I work as admin and developer for the ServiceNow application suite. I find I really need to know Javascript, and Code Academy is recommended by ServiceNow. In fact, if I enroll in ServiceNow’s Javascripting class, the first prerequisite is that I have completed the first 10 lessons from Code Academy’s class. So… here I am!
I’ve been wanting to learn Javascript for some time now anyway, and this just gave me the reason to do it now.

Hi, I’m causticprincess. I’m learning python at the moment, but might try others later on. Just trying to learn a new skill to build the resume.

Hi! My name is Cora. I’m currently employed in IT Support, managing thin clients in a manufacturing warehouse, as well as assisting with CentOS server management and migrations. I plan to use my new coding skills on the job, helping to manage databases of customer orders and automatic ftp through SQL and cronjobs. Personally, I’d love to learn to write my own apps!

I use Codeacademy mainly because it’s available and free, and I love how it walks you through everything and gives you the answers so you can actually learn without having to sit there for a long time trying to figure it out. I’m taking SQL right now, and plan to continue with Command Line (though I’m already a seasoned Linux command line user) and Git. Eventually, I hope to move on to Python.

Hello, World!

Greetings from the sunny island of Bali, in Indonesia, Southeast Asia. Shoutouts to any Indonesians who are on this site and taking this journey with me.

My name is Andre, a novice developer as well as a novice father of a beautiful 4-month-old daughter. I have spent most of my professional life in the busy F&B world, spending 50 hours a week doing backbreaking, but very rewarding, work in restaurants around the island. I started learning to code as a hobby sometime around last year, and Codecademy was the very first site I signed up to learn at.

After my baby was born, I desperately wanted to find online work so I can spend more time with her and my wife, so I started to study more intensively, signing up at freecodecamp.org and taking edx courses as well. My target is to use the skills I learn here to build my portfolio, in order to score freelance web development jobs online.

I have so far been taking courses in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Java. I am aiming to go into Android development in the long run, as I see lots of opportunity in the mobile sector as well as ChromeOS for Chromebooks.

I have really been loving Codecademy! I love that it's constantly improving from the first time I joined. I love the vast scope of subjects that are available, as well as the paths feature. The interface is awesome. I just hope that there could be an auto refresh or live preview feature instead of the Run button.

I have not been to any meetups but I would love to know about the coding community in here in Bali. If anyone knows anything about that could you please hit me up?

Anyways, happy coding guys, and never stop learning!

Hey Everyone!

I’m Harriana. I’m from South Africa. I work for a company called SEOPROS [link in profile]. My job requires me to have the knowledge and skill of coding in HTML and CSS which I have a basic knowledge about. I’ve been using Codecademy to improve my skills in coding. I learn something new every day using this platform. I would like to take on JavaScript soon. It’s only recently that I came across the community forum.

Thank you Code Academy for creating this platform for those who would like to improve and further themselves in the world of coding.

Hi, my name is Owen Collins I just thought it would be fun to do this! :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I’m Natasha and I’m from the USA. I currently work in customer service field(fast food and CSR for a video game company) and looking to get out lol. I used to be in college studying Graphic Design until I began studying web design. This is where I found out that I really liked it and will be going back to school to study Software engineering this October 2018 in hopes to become a Web Developer. To prepare myself I’ve decided to use Codeacademy to help me achieve my goal. My favorite thing about it is how easy it is to navigate and the tons of course they offer. Best of all. It’s free!

Courses, I have taken so far is HTML and a little JavaScript. So good luck to everyone improving themselves!

Hello, My name is Shawn and I have been programming for 20 years in an abstract language called “Universe” by Rocket Software. I am interested in learning different languages and wanted to start with javascript. I am taking the plunge because I am also a crypto-enthusiast. I want to prepare myself for the Lisk SDK. Thanks in advance for all the noob questions I will have!:slight_smile:

Hi my name is Rigo live in southern california I dont know anything about coding
Warehouse work
Personal and professionally
Heard its easy
Not sure yet
No but will meet up anywhere in socal

Hi, my name is Georg, from Berlin, Germany.

I am a part-time web developer (career changer). 2016, i made a course (in german language) in HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript an get my certificate. But my Javascript skills could be much more better, so i do the JS course to learn this language properly.

Next learning steps will be Angular. But first JS, i am really looking forward to start next week. Hope i will get it done – it is the first course in a foreign language for me. Otherwise my next step will be an english course.

:-):smiley:
G

• Who are you?
    Hello, my name is Justin and I am 15 years old.

• What is your industry and profession?
    I am currently a high school student.

• Were do you plan to use your new coding skills? Personally/professionally?
    I plan to use my coding skills personally.

• Why do you use Codecademy and what is your favorite thing about it?
    I use Codecademy because of the tutorials and people are always there to help.

• What courses have you taken, or are planning to take?
    I am currently taking Computer Science.

• Have you been to any of our meetups, or events?
    No, I haven’t.

• Do you have any examples of work that you have done using the skills you learned at Codecademy?
    Yes, I know how to do basic math and input sentences so far.

• Do you have a cool story to tell about how Codecademy helped you achieve your goals?
    Not yet… :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I joined,because i am curious about coding(and interested in this field ) and would like to know if this is something for me or not.

Hopefully i will get to answer some questions for myself and perhaps this will be the beginning of a new passion for me.

We will see and for now a simple hello and hoping to learn much from you all.

• Who are you? My name is Lauren, I’m currently 25 and I am attending college to get my Associate’s degree and eventually my Bachelor’s.

• What is your industry and profession? I plan on entering the field of Network Security, as well as maybe dabbling in a little Network Administration.

• Where do you plan to use your new coding skills? Personally/professionally? I’d like to know my skills personally as I’m not sure yet how they would work into my profession.

• Why do you use Codecademy and what is your favorite thing about it? Currently I’m using Codecademy because I heard about it through advertisements. I enjoy that it is a mostly free platform for anyone to use.

• What courses have you taken, or are planning to take? I haven’t taken anything as of yet but I plan on learning Python first.

• Have you been to any of our meetups, or events? I’m unaware of any meetups or events near where I live.

• Do you have any examples of work that you have done using the skills you learned at Codecademy? Not yet! But hopefully soon!

Hi everyone ! I’m Laura, I’m looking to become a fullstack developer. I worked in the banking industry and I hated the lack of creativity. So here I am on Codecademy willing to learn :slight_smile: I’m mainly focusing on Ruby and Ruby on Rails as it is a requirement from the school I want to attend (Le Wagon, in Paris).

Hi !

I’m Elena, I’m 28 years old and I’m from Paris. I work in a tech company as an office manager. I wanted to discover code and I LOVE IT. I can’t wait to make cool websites.

My goal is to be good enough to maybe sell my services as a freelance junior web developer ? I could use the extra money for travelling to far away places :desert_island:

Can’t wait to learn more !
See ya !