Web forms

Apologies if this is not the right place to post this query but I am looking for some help with building web forms.

I have found it really difficult to find any sort of beginners guide to create fully functional web forms. From what I can see it always goes from creating forms in HTML and then the next step seems to be using them with Node.js for storing info in a database. What I really want to be able to do is build a fully functioning web form that sends the data via email upon submission of the form. I know this can be done in many ways with PHP, Node or python but what I a mreally looking for is a guide on which is best to use and how to go about building these from scratch.

I would be most grateful for any assistance in this matter as I am currently building my first freelance website and want to be able to set the forms up properly. I have a php template but I would really like to build this part by myself.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The processing of the data - whether that’s to store it in a database, or use it to trigger sending an email - is a “back-end” job. The form which is rendered in the browser is simply the vehicle for collecting the information, but it needs to hand that over to another process to do something with it.

If you have already decided on a language to handle the “back-end” processing of your site, it would be good to know what it is. (Have you settled on PHP, hence the template?)

In any case, some resources which may be useful on the topic of sending emails:

Since you seem to have already found some PHP stuff, though, @ghostlovescore might be able to point you in a better direction (as they know PHP, which I don’t).

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your help with this. I had’nt yet decided to use PHP, that just happened to be the template that I found. I was actually hoping to use Node as this is what I have been learning with.

I will have a look at these links that you have sent and hopefully that will help me to do what I need to do with the form on my website.

Thanks again for getting back to me so soon, really appreciate the help

1 Like

No problem.

The DEV.to link I posted is part of a series of articles about basics in Node, and focuses on how to use the nodemailer module to send emails. If you’re already working with Node, that should allow you to achieve what you’re after. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.