[Web App] I have a project I want to start, I just do not know how

Hey guys! I have a project that I am working on, and so far I have done it all in WordPress… I want to get away from that and do it all fresh and new from scratch so I can add additional features and stuff like that.

A little background on me:
I have a good bit of knowledge of HTML and CSS, and a little bit of coding knowledge with javascript but that is about it. I came to Codecademy to see if I can learn enough to make my app :slight_smile:

So The idea is to allow high school or younger softball players to build a profile and share their stats (entered manually) and highlights with college recruiters or really anyone. They will be able to go in and add all of the things that you might expect… height, weight, batting average, and things of the sort.

Here is an example of the site that I created for my client in WordPress using the Ultimate Member plugin. The site is working for the client for now, but I would like to be able to add and my own features, share button, and other things that are not offered through the plugin.

So, here lies my problem… I am not sure how to do it, but I am willing to learn! I think I can somewhat make the frontend using simple html and css, but the backend is a different animal. I had a friend suggest to use react as a frontend framework and ruby on rails for the backend, but I have no clue how to tie them together (I have no clue how to use react or ruby in the first place).

Is there any way I can get an outline or maybe a pathway for what I need to learn? I am kinda lost here with no direction. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi!

Codecademy’s backend courses center around flask I think. To give you an idea of what kind of functionality that would give you, I suggest browsing through these videos Python Flask Tutorial: Full-Featured Web App Part 1 - Getting Started - YouTube. (You can do similar types of things with ruby or django or whatever other backend framework you want).

In terms of frontend CC uses React. If you know some javascript, you can think of React as beefing up javascript to do really powerful things in an efficient manner.

It would probably take at least a few months, but it’s very doable. Already knowing html and css helps a bit since it’s one less “new” thing to have to digest. You would also need to get some basic knowledge of databases and sql.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I will be sure to update you guys. I’m also a new pro member, anything that would benefit me other than courses?

You could browse the list of Codecademy Chapters and join one that piques your interest! That way, you can meet and work alongside others learning the same or a similar thing as you.

1 Like