Var me = [] VS var me = new Object[]

What is the difference between these two? What pro's and con's lies inside these examples?

var me = [];
me.name = "Simen";
me.age = 19;

VS

var me = new Object();
me.name = "Simen";
me.age = 19;

objects and associative arrays can be used interchangeable, see this article

this:

var me = new Object();
me["name"]= "Simen";
me["age"] = 19;

is also perfectly valid

Both are valid declarations, although if you would like to follow JS code conventions, it is advised to use [] instead of new Array()

Here is an excerpt:

{} and []

Use {} instead of new Object(). Use [] instead of new Array().

Use arrays when the member names would be sequential integers. Use objects when the member names are arbitrary strings or names.

he uses []? So this is confirmation he follows the convetions?

Yeah, looks like it :slight_smile:

looking at the code conventions:

Use {} instead of new Object(). Use [] instead of new Array().

wouldn't it make more sense to say:

its advised to use {} instead of new Object(), given xelvir doesn't follow this coding convention

The codeacademy Javascript tutorial (10 hours) did not say anything about using {} instead. It only said that I could use new Object to create a new Object().

So {} is the same as new Object(), just simplified?

Doesn't {} and [] act the same way?
Am I correct that Arrays are Objects and Objects Arrays?

Well that's another thing - to determine what's more appropriate for the current situation? ..

Use arrays when the member names would be sequential integers. Use objects when the member names are arbitrary strings or names.

see powell_v2 coding convention (this one),

no. arrays:

myArray = [1,2,3,4,5]

arrays are not the same as objects. associative and objects are the same (an can be used interchangeable)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.