Using Hash.new 7/6

i am stock in here
this is my code i dont what to do can someone help please.
Hash.new => pets.Hash

Here is the example:

You can also create a hash using Hash.new, like so:
my_hash = Hash.new

And here are the instructions:

Use Hash.new to create a new hash called pets.

In your opinion, what should be replaced from the example to match the instructions?

I have the same problem. I tried following your advice, and put in this code:
my_hash = Hash.new
my_hash[1] = "pets"
puts my_hash[1]
However, it keeps saying to declare the variable, "pets"? Can you please help me?

Probably because you’re testing it in an exercise that requires a variable called pets?

Your code works in the lab, test it if you want:

labs repl.it

Try this
pets = Hash.new { [] }

Thanks, the code you gave me had succeeded in the exercise.

how did you figure out such combination? amazing...I've tried lots of word arrays but never got it right. Could you please explain the meaning of last two brackets?

To be honest, it was a accident. I think that exercise is bugged.

I do believe i know how i got it to work though. if you put {} instead of Hash.new it does the same thing. And i believe the [] does nothing in that code.

And it worked so i didn't really bother to research it more. :smile:

Yeah, I tried to delete the last two brackets and it also succeeded. Maybe the point here is the word sequence, which is the opposite of the normal logic: "pets" is in front of "Hash.new". I still have the question that what's the difference between my_hash and Hash.new? Only the sequence of words when you using them?

I did some more research but it's hard to find info about it... But i did find some info that might be helpful.

As you know, a hash is an unordered list of unique keys and their values, like this "options = { font_size: 10, font_family: "Arial" }"

I did some more research but it's hard to find info about it...

But i did find some info that might be helpful.

As you know, a hash is an unordered list of unique keys and their values, like this "options = { font_size: 10, font_family: "Arial" }"

Hashes have a default value that is returned when accessing keys that do not exist in the hash. If no default is set nil is used.

my_hash is a example i think, it's like putting "options" like in the hash above.

Hope its helpful

I think you are right. Still on my way conquering Ruby and wish myself good luck. Thank you for the help, it is very helpful!:smile:

I had some trouble with this for a while, but here's what I ended up doing:

pets = Hash.new

^ (edit: turns out that's all you need to move on with the lesson)

pets = {
    "pet1" => "cat"
}

try this: pets=Hash.new
i guess this is what the exercise requires

Yeah! This works in the exercise. I thought they wanted us to put in a value "pets"

I did this:

my_hash = Hash.new
Hash = pets

For some reason, once I removed the ".new" it allowed me to set the variable to pets.

I just go with

pets = Hash.new

and succeed

I just did the following on Codeacademy, and it worked

pets = Hash.new
pets = {
pet1 => cat,
pet2 => dog,
pet3 => lizard
}

you need to put something in the hash. try this:
pets = Hash.new