This post was based on the original post on Discourse Meta here.
As documented in Community Building on the Web.
User trust levels are a way of...
- Sandboxing new users in our community so that they cannot accidentally (or intentionally!) hurt themselves, the forum, or other users while they are learning what to do.
- Granting experienced users more rights so that they can help maintain and moderate the community they generously contribute so much of their time to.
The User Trust Levels we offer:
0 → 1 (Learner) → 2 (Rising Star) → 3 (Moderator: Codecademy Moderator, (Pro) Advisor, Super User, Staff) → 4 (Administrator)
We also have a Badge called Codecademy Team Member. That badge is reserved for those who work for Codecademy.
Let’s break it down!!
Users at trust level 0 (New member) cannot...
- Send private messages to other users
- Reply as new topic in the right gutter (UI removed)
- Flag posts
- Post any images
- Post any attachments
- Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
- Have actual links in the 'about me' field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
- Mention more than 2 users in a post