Unexpected end of input error on Search Text for your name

SyntaxError: Unexpected end of input, Oops, try again. There was a problem with your syntax.

/*jshint multistr:true */

var text = "text text text dog text text text";
var myName = "dog";
var hits = [];

for( var i = 0; i <text.length; i++) 
{
    if(text[i] === myName[0]){
    for(var j = i; i+ myName.length ; i++)
  {hits.push(text[i]); }
}

if(hits.length === 0) 
    {console.log("Your name wasn't found!")}
    else {
    console.log(hits);
    }

here:

{

the { of your first for loop has no matching closing curly bracket (})

when i add more closing curly brackets it freezes the browser

yea, because your second for loop is an infinity loop. Maybe revisit 5. your second for loop to fix the infinity loop?

i changed the loop to

for(var j = i; i+ myName.length; i++)

a new error message shows: SyntaxError: Unexpected token ]

it seems to be another syntax error, i cant find any extra misplaced brackets though

And why did you decide to change your loop this way? Why is this loop now no longer an infinity loop? Does the loop for-fill its purpose?

The syntax error could be anywhere, i would need to see your full code

/*jshint multistr:true */

var myName = "dog";
var hits = [];

{
    if(text[i] === 0]){
    for(var j = i; (i+ myName.length); i++)
  {hits.push(text[i]); }}

if(hits.length === 0) 
    {console.log("Your name wasn't found!")}
    else {
    console.log(hits);
    }

i found the additional ], it is in this line:

if(text[i] === 0])

your loop is still an infinity loop, i can help you further but please start answering my questions, else i am going to ask someone else to help you further

thank you that solved the token error now it is telling me SyntaxError: Unexpected end of input

we are back to where we started

ok an infiinty loop im thinking the loop would have the variable i =0 which would be the 'd' in dog. when the for loop detects the d in dog im guessing the loop should count the two more letters to arrive at the word of dog 0, 1 ,2, that is why initially i had the myName.length = 3 because my real name has four letters, forgive me if i sound stupid im relatively new to this

i dont know why im typing the stuff yet i only have a rudimentary understanding. i=0 so when using the name dog there are 3 characters i want the for loop to count when the first letter matches the d in dog and return to me the numerical value of how many letters is in dog starting with 0, im learning that i dont have the full understanding of the how to for loop functions so detecting my own errors is difficult

the infinity loop is in the second loop. When will the second for loop ever evaluate to false?

for(var j = i; (i+ myName.length = 2); i++)

would it evaluate to false when any number of letters isnt equal to 2, for example the word text has 4 letters so that word would be excluded?

the purpose of the second for loop is to find your name in a string, this string you stored in a variable named text.

i will contain the index of the first letter of your name. i + myName.length will contain the index of the letter after your name. This is handy, because it means we can do:

j < i + myName.length;

then we increase j (not i) to loop over your name. since now we have a start point of your name (i) and a stop point (i + myName.length) for "dog" in text

so i is not just a numerical value of 0 it is the begining point of the loop

i is a numeric value, but 0 it is indeed the start value of the loop. look:

for( var i = 0; i <text.length; i++) {
    console.log(i);
}

we increase i with the for loop (i++ is a shorthand for i = i + 1).

We use the first for loop to loop over the string stored in text. i is a number, which we can use as index to get the letters from the string stored in text:

for( var i = 0; i <text.length; i++) {
    console.log(text[i]);
}

So the value in i changes over time, that is why we have an if condition:

if(text[i] === myName[0])

to check if the current letter in text equals the first letter of your name, if so, we start pushing our name found text to the hits array (using a second for loop)

That is the point of this program

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.