Understanding |word] with hash

<PLEASE USE HI,

I would really appreciate some help to understand the code- not just write it properly.

frequencies = Hash.new(0)
words.each do |word| frequencies[word] += 1
end

I am confused about using “word” twice in the code. the |word] declares the name/ is a placeholder for the iterating through “words” then the frequencies[word] is declaring the the key in the frequencies hash to be “word” and the value will incremement by 1
but why is word used twice and how do they relate to one another?
Thanks!

Exactly. It is what is known as the block parameter.

Except for the quotes, that too is correct. The hash is initialized to 0 in the Hash.new statement. word is a string (a word) and each time it is encountered, its count is increased by one.

|param|           =>  between pipes

frequencies[key]  =>  written as a subscript

Thank you!
OK - I think im getting it, but why do you say word is a string? What I
think Im seeing is that frequencies[word] declares that the key is word but
not word as a string but rather word as in iteration through all the words.
Is that right?

I also dont understand why in the following code you need the final b- what
does that add?:

frequencies = frequencies.sort_by {|a, b| b }
Im going over this and i guess .sort_by is always for a hash so the pipes
always are filled with 2 components |a,b| and then it has to follow with
how you are sorting - either a or b?

THANKS SO UCH FOR YOUR HELP! YOU ARE SO CLEAR!

http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail
Virus-free.
www.avg.com
http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Because it is. word is a variable representing a data type belonging to the class, String. We start with a string, then split it into an arrray of strings, then read them off, one at a time, as strings. As each string is encountered it is accumulated, or added to the hash and given an increment.

And that would be correct. a and b are key and value parameters, respectively. We are sorting this hash by values.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.