Understanding logic behind "factorial" problem

I'm on exercise 1.5 of Practice Makes Perfect, called "factorial". Here is my code and corresponding understandings:

def factorial(x):
    factors = []
    while x>0:
        factors.append(x)
        x = x-1
        print factors

To get the factors of some number x, I created an empty list called factors and while x>0, I append a number to that list then subtract one and repeat. The list factors successfully prints all the factors of a number. I'm just stuck on how to now multiply them all together. My intuition is to add a for loop to iterate through all the numbers in my list and multiply them together, I'm just confused as to how to accomplish this?

but appending to list and then looping over the list is a bit double, isn't it?

why not, instead of appending, multiply directly? You can simply make factors a integer (1), and multiply using the while loop you already have

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. I think I'm a little confused. The reason I thought to append to a list was to break the number x into the smaller numbers necessary to complete the multiplication. Can you explain how making factors into an integer would help?

well, then you can multiply each number with factors to get the factorial

for example for x=4

you would loop over the numbers using while loop:

1 * 4 
4 * 3
12 * 2
24 * 1

the step of the loops broken down by multiply each number of the loop with factors, resulting in the factorial

I'm not sure how I would accomplish what you're saying using a while loop:

def factorial(x):
    n = 1
    while x>0:

For x=4, how would you make it so each time the loop runs, it subtracts 1 from x while increasing n by the proper amount?

these are two steps, first multiply n with x and store the result of this multiplication in n, then decrease x by 1, you already know how to do this, since you have done it:

x = x-1

Ok, so this is my code now:

def factorial(x):
    n = 1
    while x > 0:
        n=n*x
        x -= 1

It does not seem to be storing the product of n*x in n properly. My end result is always 0, and when I throw a print function inside the while loop to diagnose, I can see that n is remaining to be stored as 1. I even tried placing the n=1 inside the while loop with no success. Any suggestions?

your function now calculate the correct factorial:

def factorial(x):
    n = 1
    while x > 0:
        n=n*x
        x -= 1
    print n

factorial(5)

see? Works fine, now for the exercise your function should return the factorial

Thank you stetim94, your help and patience was much appreciated.

don't forget that function not execute unless called

No problem, you're welcome :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.