Understanding global/local scope 10/13

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/javascript-beginner-en-6LzGd/2/2?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661

"Using my_number without the var keyword refers to the global variable that has already been declared outside the function in line 1. However, if you use the var keyword inside a function, it declares a new local variable that only exists within that function."

I'm not fully understanding this statement. Can someone give me a detail explanation on why this lesson wants you to put var in front of my_number = *2;

var my_number = 7; //this has global scope

var timesTwo = function(number) {
// i don't fully understand why i need to or don't need to put var in front of my_number = number *2; i went back to try it with out var and it still worked.
  var  my_number = number * 2;
    console.log("Inside the function my_number is: ");
    console.log(my_number);
}; 

timesTwo(7);

console.log("Outside the function my_number is: ")
console.log(my_number);

What is logging to the console?

I was a success either way i put it.

// Changes placed below this line.
var my_number = number * 2;
console.log(my_number);
};

timesTwo(7);

console.log(my_number);
Or

//Changes placed below this line.
my_number = number * 2;
console.log(my_number);
};

timesTwo(7);

console.log(my_number);
What i'm asking is what is the difference between the two solutions.

Global scope for the my_number value means it is assigned 7.

Local scope within the timesTwo function means my_number is assigned the product of the number parameter * 2. So if you called timesTwo(3), 6 would log to the console. Not 14. Only within the timesTwo function, locally.

Back outside the timesTwo function, calling my_number to the console like this:

console.log(my_number)

would print as:

because of global scope. Variable my_name remains 7 until it is reassigned a value, such as "bill" or 97.

timesTwo(7)

would print:

because of local scope.

THIRD EDIT:

I completely overlooked your question about whether var is or isn't necessary when assigning values to a variable. There's a lot to read in this link but it's worth it:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Statements/var

The gist of it is, there are times when you can assign values to a variable without using var but occasionally you can't. Doing so will generate an error in your code. So to be safe, err on the side of caution and use var.

man thank you so much i now understand lol thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.