Typo in problem statement of lesson 7.4

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post bugs, but I noticed a small typo in the last sentence of the "Parameters and Arguments" lesson of the functions section.

"Replace the ___s with the parameters base and exponent and call power on a base of 37 and a power of 4." should say

"Replace the ___s with the parameters base and exponent and call power on a base of 37 and an exponent of 4."

Not a bug, but not the first time this has come up, either. An exponent is a power. We only split hairs when we wish to describe the placement of the independent variable in a function...

f(x) = x ** a  =>  power function

g(x) = a ** x  =>  exponential function

If you're aware of it, my job is done. While powers & exponents are not the same thing, they may as well be for the scope of this course - I'm merely suggesting that referring to the arguments consistently will reduce confusion.

The function is named power, with arguments of base and exponent. Having the problem statement refer to base & power as the arguments of the power function may confuse some users.

"Replace the ___s with the parameters base and exponent and call power on a base of 37 and a power of 4."

"Call power with a power of 4" etc. Either way, seems like you guys are aware of it.

Fortunately, a great many learners have not advanced very far in their study of mathematics. The misnomer here escapes their notice.

A variable times itself is a power function. The constant in the exponent specifies how many times the number is multiplied.

A constant raised to a variable power is an exponential function. The distinction is rather vague. It's a simple mistake for anybody to make.

Agreed, and glad it hasn't been an issue! Just noticed the nomenclature and
was trying to help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.