[Tutorial] How to Stream on Twitch

Hello, it’s Sonny from Codecademy :wave:

Twitch is the world’s biggest destination for live video games. They are a fellow Y Combinator company and quite a few members of the Codecademy team follow Esports on Twitch religiously. We have even partnered with Twitch’s Science team on a Data Science Path project, as well as Twitch’s Marketing team on the recent Learn From Home Day.

Over the past months, we’ve seen more and more programmers get on Twitch and live stream their coding journey. For example:

Streaming coding on Twitch has motivated me tremendously during this downtime. It is like pair programming, but with more of a social factor. Having someone watch you and help you when you’re stuck is like a superpower. It has been pushing me to become a better coder and a better communicator. Whether you are learning to code for the first time and you are a seasoned programmer, I think there hasn’t been a better time to give streaming a shot.

Here’s how you can get started!

Setting Up Twitch Channel:

1. Sign up and log in to Twitch.
  2. Select Creator Dashboard from the drop-down menu at the top-right (profile picture).
  3. Select Edit Stream Info.
  4. Enter a title for the broadcast, i.e., “Web Dev with Sonny”.
  5. For category, search for “Science and Technology”.

Connecting Twitch and OBS:

1. Install a broadcasting app on your PC. The most common one is OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), which is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
  2. Open OBS.
  3. Select the Settings button from the bottom-right menu.
  4. Select the Stream tab.
  5. Select “Twitch” from the drop-down menu.
  6. Return to Twitch, select Settings from the drop-down menu at the top-right. And select the Channel and Video tab.
  7. Copy and paste the code inside Primary Stream Key into the Stream Key box inside OBS.

Setting the Scene and Going Live:

1. Inside OBS, click the + button inside Sources that will open a menu of a variety of sources, including your desktop window and camera.
  2. Select “Display Capture”, which will capture the whole monitor window.
  3. (Optional) To add a webcam, click the + button again and add a “Video Capture Device”. Select the appropriate device, i.e., “FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)”.
  4. Once everything is situated, click the Start Streaming button to go live.

And that’s it! Hopefully, this tutorial helped you to get started with your very first coding stream.

Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below. And share your Twitch channel if you are streaming! We would love to see more Codecademy community members on Twitch during this downtime.

For more resources:

2 Likes